Oregon 300 Issues and Map questions

zonabb

I haven’t touched my Garmin Oregon 300 in about 5 months, mainly because of the weather but also because when I updated to 3.22, it started acting weird. Last night I broke it out and updated to 3.60. I’m having a few issues still that never happened before.

I live near Buffalo and most of the time, my display shows parts of the U.S. and Canada. However, for some reason Canada shows up sometimes and other times it’s white with thin blue lines. It’s actually very frustrating and annoying. Anyone else have this kind of issue or a solution. I’m almost considering going back to a software update prior to 3.22.

The other issue is, and this may tie into the one above, is I have the basemaps that came with the Oregon plus CN 2010 and the US 100k topo loaded. I can’t recall where I loaded them when I did but know one was put on the unit itself and one on the Micro SD. I want to remove both but want to make sure I’m removing the right image files but in the Garmin folder on the unit and on the SD, I have a file with the same name gmapsupp (one is 449,912 kb and the other 46,913 kb). I also have a file on the unit called gmapbmap (50,500 kb).

My guess is that the larger gmapsupp which in on the unit is the CN map and the smaller one on the SD is the topo. That would make gmapbmap the basemap (makes sense based on the name).

If that’s the case, all I need to do to remove the CN and the Topo is to delete the two gmapsupp files, nothing else?

On my OR300, the gmapbmap.img is the built-in world base map.

When MapSource creates a map, it is named gmapsupp.img. FYI - when you loaded CN, you would have had to register it to the OR.

Those blue lines usually indicate you do not have a mapset enabled for the area. Likely only US topo was enabled and the display was centered outside the US.

Edited by snowfleurys

If that’s the case, all I need to do to remove the CN and the Topo is to delete the two gmapsupp files, nothing else?

You don't need to remove anything, just rename and move.

You can find out where the maps are stored by hooking the OR up to a PC. It will show up as two drives, one with a Garmin label and one with a card manufacturer label like "Kingston".

The OR will accept multiple IMG files, so I'd suggest putting both on the card if they will fit. Rename one CNNANT.IMG and the other Topo.IMG. You'll still need to unlock the map, if you haven't already.

Try this configuration:

- gmapbmap.img in /Garmin internal memory

- gmapsupp.img , renamed to citynav.img in /Garmin SD card

- gmapsupp.img , renamed to topo.img in /Garmin internal memory

Verify that these are the only *.img files in /Garmin in internal memory and SD card.

Restart the unit and go to your automotive profile and verify under Setup>Map that you can see the three maps above and that only the basemap and citynav are enabled, topo should be disabled.

Change to your geocaching/recreation/outdoor profile and verify under Setup>Map that you can see all three maps and that the basemap and topo are enabled, city nav should be disabled.

Do you see the issue with Canada in either profile above?

Not sure, but I suspect that the scale of the topo and basemapsa may be the issue. But it'll load sometimes and I have to drag the map a bit to try to get it to reload properly.

I basically deleted the Navigator off the unit because the Oregon has one REALLY annoying issue that make the navigator worthless.... when you try to center the map the way you want to see it, the info at the top of the map that displays while navigating goes away and you have to hit the back button and return the Garmin's selected map extents to get them back. As a guy who uses GIS professional, this is the worst feature of any mapping tool, the in inability to select your own extents as you see fit, not as Garmin sees fit.

Anyway, thanks for the help.