Etrex Vista map problem

Been scratchin' my head over this for a few days and my desire to find an answer has finally over-ridden my need for a good mental challenge! In the process of becoming engaged, I found out that my fiancee came with an etrex vista. (BONUS). My background with gps has been more in the industrial sector using mostly 3rd party mapping software with a Megellan Explorist and more recently a Garmin Oregon thrown in for good measure. This little etrex seems to be a pretty handy little unit, but I am experiencing some unexplained paranormal map problems. I loaded some topo/road maps onto it using Mapsource without incident and used it 3-4 times over the period of about two weeks. A few days ago, I turned it on and there were no topo/road maps on the display. Going into the map setup also revealed that there were no maps loaded. I re-transferred the map set from Mapsource, which seemed to be working with the download indicator and everything looked normal (at least to this newbies eyes), but after restarting the unit, still no maps loaded. I have done a "hard reset" on the unit and reloaded the maps and caches, still to no avail, although the caches and waypoints work just fine. Please, help me out here, I'd hate to have to find a new girlfriend to get a gps that works right! <_<

Been scratchin' my head over this for a few days and my desire to find an answer has finally over-ridden my need for a good mental challenge! In the process of becoming engaged, I found out that my fiancee came with an etrex vista. (BONUS). My background with gps has been more in the industrial sector using mostly 3rd party mapping software with a Megellan Explorist and more recently a Garmin Oregon thrown in for good measure. This little etrex seems to be a pretty handy little unit, but I am experiencing some unexplained paranormal map problems. I loaded some topo/road maps onto it using Mapsource without incident and used it 3-4 times over the period of about two weeks. A few days ago, I turned it on and there were no topo/road maps on the display. Going into the map setup also revealed that there were no maps loaded. I re-transferred the map set from Mapsource, which seemed to be working with the download indicator and everything looked normal (at least to this newbies eyes), but after restarting the unit, still no maps loaded. I have done a "hard reset" on the unit and reloaded the maps and caches, still to no avail, although the caches and waypoints work just fine. Please, help me out here, I'd hate to have to find a new girlfriend to get a gps that works right! <_<

I saw that once with a bad memory card. Might try a different one.

Nope, no memory card. If I go into the setup, it is showing 14% memory used, so I think the maps are on there taking up space. I wonder if I try a firmware update on the unit, if it would possibly over-write any glitches it may be having?

If there's no memory card, the mapping installed must be tiny if it's only taking up 14% of the available memory. Is it definitely a Vista as opposed to a Vista Cx or Vista HCx ?