Best GPS to use in Elbonia?

newts

I travel to Asia and Europe and I am looking for a good mapping GPS to use. It looks like none of them have good maps outside of the US but the Garmin allows you to make your own from JPEG files.

As I understand it I can buy a Garmin, use free software from Garmin to load a JPEG and orient it and then it will chop it into tiles and load it onto a chip or the unit itself. Is that right?

I am a Garmin guy from 1998 (GPS-20?) but mostly been caching using Trimble Outdoors [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] but I am frustrated with the limitations and irritations of phone GPS at times and still like a "real" GPS. Also the phones are useless out of network coverage in the wilderness or out of the country.

So what is the best one to get for the money? I am looking at the Dakota 20 or the Oregon 450. I also looked at the Delorme PN series until I realized they didn't have world maps and I could also consider Magellan if someone makes a good enough case for it.

Thanks and happy caching,

jv

Edited by Keystone

The biggest problems with maps of Elbonia is the mud. All features merge into the same drab color of mud. <_<

Garmin does have some European maps and maps for other areas, I just haven't looked at them much. Since you have a Garmin slant, I would also look at GPSfiledepot for free maps outside of the US. As for what unit, I can only offer my opinion, but since I'm a 76CSX user I'm afraid it would not be worth much.

You can get maps for Garmins for most european countries and many areas in asia.

The benefit is, you can find many free maps too, but depends on what country you are looking for, the free map is not always a good choice.

If you want to use self scanned maps (raster maps), you can choose a Magellan Triton as best offer. The Garmins are not that open like the Magellans.

For free Maps (but a very low annual fee for membership) refer to www.maps4me.net

With a Garmin and commercial maps, better get the Oregon, cause raster maps needs a bigger screen and looks lousy on the Dakota, if you want to use some your own material.

GPS use is illegal in Elbonia, you will have to stick with a map and compass or you might face the firing squad.

But the firing squad only shoots spitballs so your not in any real danger.

What if they get you in the eye?

Good point. Note to self: always wear eye protection while in Elbonia.

I travel to Asia and Europe and I am looking for a good mapping GPS to use. It looks like none of them have good maps outside of the US but the Garmin allows you to make your own from JPEG files.

If you choose a Garmin device, consider any of these maps:

OSM or directly download from Web into your Garmin device from outdoornavigators.com.

These are your "lowest cost options".

For most European countries you can order topographical maps from Garmin, too. All of Europe will then cost you several thousands of $ or € - because you have to pay extra for each country, sometimes for states...

Olaf

So I went ahead and ordered a Garmin Oregon 400T. (New refurbs with warranty are $299 on eBay now...). The Triton looked interesting and the list prices seem to be a good value of features/$ although I was a little turned off by a CE machine.

It looks like I can get maps from the sources mentioned although I am not sure I can find the kind of quality I am used to for US maps. I am looking forward to trying them and maybe I can contribute to the project.

The commercial products seem to include city road data for major cities in the countries I am interested in or topo maps of European countries that I don't plan to visit. I couldn't find maps of Elbonia anywhere! Or Romania for that matter as I am planning a trip there this summer.

The free maps and the ability to make my own should be enough though.

My main goal is to have enough contextual information from a map to make geocaching more fun and also getting around without getting lost in places where I don't speak the language.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

jv

So I went ahead and ordered a Garmin Oregon 400T.

I couldn't find maps of Elbonia anywhere! Or Romania for that matter as I am planning a trip there this summer.

snowfleurys' map will also cover both and will work with the Oregon 400T: MAP

Make sure to wear eye protection.

Edited by coggins

Congrat on the new toy, I hope they'll serve you well.

As for Triton's,

The Triton looked interesting ... I was a little turned off by a CE machine.

Actually thanks to CE OS you can use buch of CE softwares like Office, utils, games ...

For navigation there is OziCE for Triton's 1500/2000 for raster images or even road nav with voice guidances ( ViaGPS ) ...

Or Romania for that matter as I am planning a trip there this summer.

For Romania there are three sources of maps for Magellan's :

1. topo2009EE - 3D topographic map

maybe topo2009EE covers Elbonia or part of it :)

2. ViaGPS Europe Premium - road nav, full detail EE

3. maps4me - topographic map