Found an old one - 1905

mattking

An excellent find! From what I read on these forums, any disk placed before the 30s is pretty rare. Plus, the coordinates are scaled, so it's a good thing the description was still useful. Did you record the coordinates? I'd be curious to know how far off the scaled coordinates are.

I did not record the coordinates, but it's only about 3 miles from my house, so I'll get up there and do that.

The last ADJUSTED(sorry - I said scaled before!) disk I found was within .001 decimal minutes in both directions after about 2 minutes settling with my Meridian GPS.

I'll post here as soon as I get the coords!

[This message was edited by mattking on May 14, 2003 at 06:12 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

Speaking of old ones...

The databse here and at NGS seems to let you search by PID or coordinates. I there an easy way to filter searches by date placed -- or another databse online somewhere to do that?

---

_LDR._

The latest changes to BMGPX will let you do that. Check out this thread

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

...BMGPX will let you do that. Check out http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=5116058331&m=35260855

Even though it wasn't the kind of solution I was looking for, it is helpful and points me in the right direction -- thanks!

I had been looking for an online database search. I didn't think of downloading the archives to my machine and processing them here.

With the archives and a Mac, my choices are to fire up Virtual PC -- or write my own parser. I might end up doing both.

Thanks again!

---

LDR.

quote:
Originally posted by RogBarn:

... any disk placed before the 30s is pretty rare.

Verily! I just downloaded datasheets for my county and seven adjacent ones. I was looking for benchmarks placed in the 1800's, or nineteen-oh-anything.

Out of over 1300 datasheets, I only found 19 monumented prior to 1910. None in my landlocked county of Oakland -- most of the ones I found are for shoreline landmarks, like lighthouses.

---

LDR.

Congrats to mattking and also to Kewaneh & Shark!! Everything is in such good shape too. Even the wooden witness post and the pole. These impress me. I have seen several 10 year old disks that were already unreadable due to lawnmower damage and such. Keep up the good work! I don't think that wood lasts that long here in Missouri.

As far as the coords go...

Here's the listing - N 32 45.517 W 84 52.517 (NAD 83)

I have (in WGS 84) N 32 45.523 W 084 52.522.

Will the map datum difference automatically introduce some positioning error? As a 'test', I changed my secondary 'setup' on the Meridian to NAD 83 and the coords seem to always come up the same as WGS 84....

Anyhow - going back to the scaling question, they seem to have gotten relatively close on this one.

Happycycler -

The lack of humidity here definately helps preserve things, particularly wood objects such as old wooden witness posts and telegraph poles. As a matter of fact on many of the old telegraph poles which are still around here (all abandoned, of course) the original glass insulators and telegraph lines (wires) remain also. They can be seen on pic #3 on the page for GT1644.

I've also been able to find a few good examples of the white wooden witness posts from the 40's & 50's still in good shape. Some even still had the paint on them.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

FWIW

According to jeEep.com:

"Coordinate Translation

Topo Map Street Map

«-- WGS 84 (NAD 83) --»

The WGS-84 (NAD-83) datum is mainly used by the Global Positioning System (GPS). Up-to-date USGS maps use NAD-83 (which is the same as WGS-84). Even though GPS's use WGS-84, they can translate that data to most any map datum. If you're using a map, make sure your GPS is using the same datum. "

aerobat