GC Codes

Are GC Codes random or is there some order to them? For instance, my GC # for one of my caches is

GC1ZZ7W

Using that number can you tell what the next cache that is published GC number will be?? (improper grammar, I know -- hard to rephrase)

While you are here what does this emote mean: :anibad:

Edited by buzzy_cacher

Are GC Codes random or is there some order to them? For instance, my GC # for one of my caches is

GC1ZZ7W

Using that number can you tell what the next cache that is published GC number will be?? (improper grammar, I know -- hard to rephrase)

While you are here what does this emote mean: :anibad:

No, the numbers are issued in sequence. If you wonder about the sequence they are base 31. There is a Markwell for this.

GC1ZZ7W

Using that number can you tell what the next cache that is published GC number will be??

Yes. The waypoint names are a modified Base-31 system that encodes the serial number of the cache. Your example, GC1ZZ7W, is number 1435205. The next waypoint will be GC1ZZ7X.

The system is somewhat more complicated than you might think because early geocaches up to GCFFFF were encoded using hexadecimal instead of Base-31.

I have a page that converts back and forth for you.

The system is somewhat more complicated than you might think because early geocaches up to GCFFFF were encoded using hexadecimal instead of Base-31.

That just got me to thinking.. If Groundspeak had stuck with hex, instead of switching to Base-31, where would we be?

GC15E645 .. yep, 6 digit codes. Ouch. :anibad: