Map transfer to different GPS

hoss243

I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 with 2010 street maps, I also have a Garmin Oregon 400t on its way and a PN40, anybody know if the maps in each can be copied to the others? I am handy with a computer but my concern is with the different file types used in different brands and between file types within brands. Thanks Hoss243

The Nuvi files are a disk image file easy enough to put on a DVD why would a unlock code be required? is it something the Oregon processor would need to use them or something else? I think under the Digital fair use it would not require a unlock code or more tribute to Garman

The Nuvi files are a disk image file easy enough to put on a DVD why would a unlock code be required? is it something the Oregon processor would need to use them or something else? I think under the Digital fair use it would not require a unlock code or more tribute to Garman

You need an unlock code because NavTeq, the copyright holder, says you do. The license for the street maps *requires* the maps to be locked to a specific unit. Therefore what is in the nuvi can only be used on the nuvi.

I think that jholly was just trying to explain that "the Digital fair use" would not come into play in this situation plus an explanation as to why. It's due to Navteq's licensing agreement with Garmin.

Thanks, and I agree, after reading Jhollys reply I read a bit on the fair use doctorine and clearly it is not intended for something like this ,I thought I sensed a bit of anger but its likely I was wrong, in any event he was a great help as were the rest of you, Thanks hoss243

I think that jholly was just trying to explain that "the Digital fair use" would not come into play in this situation plus an explanation as to why. It's due to Navteq's licensing agreement with Garmin.

Thanks, and I agree, after reading Jhollys reply I read a bit on the fair use doctorine and clearly it is not intended for something like this ,I thought I sensed a bit of anger but its likely I was wrong, in any event he was a great help as were the rest of you, Thanks hoss243

I think he was just pointing out why a unlock code is required. The maps will not work without an unlock code.

Thanks to you Briansnat and you Jholly for the information. jholly it seems that I may have struck a sore spot with you, figure you found a violator? well no you didn't, I do not intend to deprive corporate America out of anything they are entitled to. <_<;)

As others have pointed out I was stating what is a fact of life. There are no sore spots.

the map license issue has been covered in the forums before. From Garmin you can buy maps in 2w varieties. On DVD, which you unlock for a particular GPSr, aznd on a micro SD mem card, which yoju can move between GPSrs that have a card slot. Price is the same. Of course I prefer the free maps available here: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Thanks for the help ras oscar I will putt it to use