Geocaching "tutorial"

jazzmonster

I tell everyone who will listen about my fab new hobby!

Some of my friends think it sounds fun but still have no idea where to start, some of them think it sounds quite fun but haven't thought about having a go and some of them think I'm beginning to lose the plot!

As Geocaching is so addictive, I thought perhaps I should just take them geocaching because once they've found one, they'll be hooked. And then when we go on days out, we can incorporate some geocaching.

My idea is to try a "tutorial" in spring, when the weather is a little warmer and better, say on a Friday evening when school and work is over. Some of my colleagues have iPhones, as do I, and my hubby is getting one shortly (5 iPhones in all). I've got a Dakota 20 GPSr and am waiting for an Etrex H to arrive which I just bought on eBay (for one of my nieces who gets soooo excited about "following the arrow"). I've also got a TomTom One but am not sure about using that for geocaching. I've downloaded the GSAK software but it looks like a lot of hassle. I like to use my iPhone for the map, hints, recent logs and photos and my Dakota for the compass which is more accurate than the iPhone.

Here's what I plan to do - from your experience how would you improve on it?

In advance, find out how many people will go and who has cars or would need a lift.

Meet somewhere for a quick tea and divide everyone into groups, mixing up ages, geocaching experience, car owners, GPSr /iPhone owners etc. Those of us who have been geocaching, lead a team.

Each team is given a map (everyone gets the same map) of an area showing a number of geocaches.

Each team is given a cache sheet for each cache shown on the map.

There is a time limit e.g. 2 hours. The aim is to find as many caches as possible and to be back at a meeting point for a set time.

The winners are the team who find the most caches and who can prove that by having their photo with the cache.

It's up to each team which caches they go for and in which order.

There will be more caches on the map than they have time for.

Team leaders are there to assist the team but not to lead them straight to the cache.

Thinking about team sizes, if there were 20 people for example, something like 5 teams of 4?

I would really appreciate your comments - I'd love to get my friends and colleagues geocaching!

I tell everyone who will listen about my fab new hobby!

Some of my friends think it sounds fun but still have no idea where to start, some of them think it sounds quite fun but haven't thought about having a go and some of them think I'm beginning to lose the plot!

As Geocaching is so addictive, I thought perhaps I should just take them geocaching because once they've found one, they'll be hooked. And then when we go on days out, we can incorporate some geocaching.

My idea is to try a "tutorial" in spring, when the weather is a little warmer and better, say on a Friday evening when school and work is over. Some of my colleagues have iPhones, as do I, and my hubby is getting one shortly (5 iPhones in all). I've got a Dakota 20 GPSr and am waiting for an Etrex H to arrive which I just bought on eBay (for one of my nieces who gets soooo excited about "following the arrow"). I've also got a TomTom One but am not sure about using that for geocaching. I've downloaded the GSAK software but it looks like a lot of hassle. I like to use my iPhone for the map, hints, recent logs and photos and my Dakota for the compass which is more accurate than the iPhone.

Here's what I plan to do - from your experience how would you improve on it?

In advance, find out how many people will go and who has cars or would need a lift.

Meet somewhere for a quick tea and divide everyone into groups, mixing up ages, geocaching experience, car owners, GPSr /iPhone owners etc. Those of us who have been geocaching, lead a team.

Each team is given a map (everyone gets the same map) of an area showing a number of geocaches.

Each team is given a cache sheet for each cache shown on the map.

There is a time limit e.g. 2 hours. The aim is to find as many caches as possible and to be back at a meeting point for a set time.

The winners are the team who find the most caches and who can prove that by having their photo with the cache.

It's up to each team which caches they go for and in which order.

There will be more caches on the map than they have time for.

Team leaders are there to assist the team but not to lead them straight to the cache.

Thinking about team sizes, if there were 20 people for example, something like 5 teams of 4?

I would really appreciate your comments - I'd love to get my friends and colleagues geocaching!

Include people that don't have or want an over rated iPhone. Geocaching for Web OS software for Palm Pre or Pixi.

Include people that don't have or want an over rated iPhone. Geocaching for Web OS software for Palm Pre or Pixi.

These work on other smart phones:

Geobeagle for android phones (available from the market)

cacheberry for blackberries (30 day free trial)

Of course given the nature of this event I would tend to have printed off copies of the caches in question in case of phone failure or lack of smart phones.

What I see is the possibility of 20 people all showing up at the same cache at the same time, and that (to me) isn't good.

My suggestion is to take your map and divide it into 4 sections, A, B, C, D. Then take your 20 people and divide them into 4 groups. Now each group has a certain time limit to find caches in their group area and then they move on to another area.

I've also got a TomTom One but am not sure about using that for geocaching. I've downloaded the GSAK software but it looks like a lot of hassle.

It won't be once configured, and that's easy. Most steps below (in blue) are done only the first time you set it up. It remembers all of your settings. After that, it's just load, export, and a Windows copy when you receive new PQ files.

Run GSAK.

"Database" - "New" [1 time]

Name it as you like ... "TomTom"? [1 time]

"File" - "Load" your PQ file from gc.com [when you have a new PQ] If you have multiple PQ files, load them all before exporting, next.

"File" - "Export" - "TomTom POI file" [when you have a new PQ]

I call my file C:\Program Files\GSAK\Geocaches.ov2 so the POI category on the TomTom shows up as Geocaches. [1 time]

I like this for my "POI Description" [1 time]

%drop2 %con1 %dif %ter %last4 %name

I set it to 100 characters [1 time]

Hit "Generate" and then copy the geocaches.ov2 file into your North American map directory on the TomTom.

Done. You now have a custom POI of caches on your TomTom. If you plan a long day, you can build a whole itinerary from the caches you select.

What I see is the possibility of 20 people all showing up at the same cache at the same time, and that (to me) isn't good.

My suggestion is to take your map and divide it into 4 sections, A, B, C, D. Then take your 20 people and divide them into 4 groups. Now each group has a certain time limit to find caches in their group area and then they move on to another area.

Thank you, that was one of my concerns. I think your advice is very sensible, thank you.

I've also got a TomTom One but am not sure about using that for geocaching. I've downloaded the GSAK software but it looks like a lot of hassle.

It won't be once configured, and that's easy. Most steps below (in blue) are done only the first time you set it up. It remembers all of your settings. After that, it's just load, export, and a Windows copy when you receive new PQ files.

Run GSAK.

"File" - "Load" your PQ file from gc.com [when you have a new PQ] If you have multiple PQ files, load them all before exporting, next.

I call my file C:\Program Files\GSAK\Geocaches.ov2 so the POI category on the TomTom shows up as Geocaches. [1 time]

Hit "Generate" and then copy the geocaches.ov2 file into your North American map directory on the TomTom.

Done. You now have a custom POI of caches on your TomTom. If you plan a long day, you can build a whole itinerary from the caches you select.

Thank you so much - it all looked a bit daunting and though I am computer literate, I don't have a lot of spare time and it looked a bit time consuming (spare time is for caching!)

I will give it a go now, thanks again.

Run GSAK.

Having a little trouble!

I upgraded to a Premium membership, created and downloaded a PQ with 8 caches and loaded them into GSAK (GPX files), exported them as TomTom POI files, copied the \geocaches.ov2 file into the map directory on TomTom, synced TomTom, switched it off and rebooted it (a few times!)

I can't find any POI files or anything geocaching related on my TomTom One. I'm obviously doing something wrong - any ideas?