Bug on Poquet Queries

RavenMaster & Uindinha

When you create a poquet query, using whatever data and selecting the placed data criteria, if you select a non existing day (31/02/2008), the PQ will generate a query for the next month.

Example:

Southern Scotland

Only Tradicional, Webcam, Earth and Virtual caches

Between 31/02/2008 and 31/03/2008

The result is 500 caches from 01/04/2008 forward (the first was placed at 3 Apr 08).

I reported this bug on the 31st of January in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=241141 as I'm pretty sure the previous webpage design only let you choose valid dates from the dropdown boxes. The effect is to just report your PQ has more than 500 caches without indicating your error. For many users this will prove extremely frustrating!!

I've had no response from Groundspeak yet so don't hold your breath...

Chris

This kind of bug is frustrating, especially when it used to work.

That said, in my 25+ years of professional software development, I don't think that "erroneous user input results in user disappointment" ever got remotely close to the top of my "must fix" list.

Seriously ? And that helps how ? I'm glad you don't develop for GS then.

I've programmed a bit here and there and every validation was always precious, at least by my several years as an IT professional. In your 25+ years, you should know that you have to predict erroneous cases, to provide a more user friendly environment. Or maybe that's just me, thinking to much in the user...

I've always heard that most problems are between the chair and the computer monitor. :ph34r:

They know about it and will probably fix in a future release. Simple workaround is to choose only valid dates (or does that seem overly obvious).

Exactly.

It was just a "wake up call", a simple validation on the dates would fix it.

I believe it's easy for GS to include this, avoiding users to create wrong PQ.

Thanks for the reply.