Garmin City Navigator SD card or DVD?

kev-val

I dont have either ,but basically the info on each should be the same,the chip will be cheaper the maps on it cannot be loaded into mapsource or basecamp like those on cds or dvds.With the cds or dvds loaded on your computer you can add waypoints ,routes,retrieve tracks you recorded and a few other things,view the maps on a large screen too.Also with all these maps loaded on your computer you can select several different maps and send them to your gps,if you just buy the one chip all you can view is that one mapset,unless this is some how changed on newer Garmin units.eg I have topo Canada ,topo USA2008,USA national parks west 24k,Ibycus topo Canada ,Washington state topo and Blue chart all loaded on mine.I could even load city navigator if I had the dvd,but if I put a chip in it,all I get is whats on that chip and as said cannot view anthing on my computer.Hope this helps.Kind of like a windows upgrade disk compared to the full meal deal disk.The later has maximum capabilities.Also the chip is good for one unit only,the one it is installed in,if you get another gps you will have to get another city navigator chip for it.I can load all my maps except Blue chart on as many gps units as I want and there are lots of free maps out there for you too load on your computer ,but you will erase your city navigator maps if you try to do that,so as you see the dvd has countless benifets.

Edited by Forkeye

Yeah with the DVD you can see the maps on your computer which can make planning trips etc much easier. But, the DVD copy will get "bonded" to a single GPSr, keep that in mind.

With the maps on a SD card you can swap it between many different GPS units, if you have more than one that is capable of using the card.

If you have the DVD you c`An load it into mapsource and load it to your own mem card. I think the only advantage of buying on a card is the card can be swapped among several GPSrs, whereat the DVD version is locked to a single GPSr. Of course you can also load OSM to mpsource and have no restrictuins whatsoever.

My Bluechart is good for 2 gps units ,everything else I have is good for any number of units,perhaps there are some restrictions on some newer maps as far as the number of units each is good for,someone else can vouch for that.But as I said above get the dvd load it on your computer,search out some free maps or buy some load them into mapsource/basecamp ,select the ones you want and send them to your unit.You cant do that if all you do is buy the chip.

Edited by Forkeye

So if I buy the dvd, I can install it to a blank sd card ? I plan on purchasing an eTrex venture hc.

1. yes you can install the maps onto a blank sd card.

2. the eTrexVenture HC doesn't take sd cards and doesn't autoroute so City Navigator isn't the best choice for that unit.

Edited by coggins