Tracks to an online map?

csacsa

Another site where you can upload your tracks to share that is very easy to use is GPS Xchange.com http://www.gpsxchange.com/phpBB2/index.php To upload your tracks here you do have to register (free).

1. Save your tracks in a .gpx file (Mapsource will do this)

2. Upload the .gpx file to GPS Xchange and that is about all there is to it (very very simple to use)

Now the nice thing is that others can download the file easily in its .gpx format and use most any program for sending your tracks to their GPS including Mapsource without having to do any file manipulation.

If you just want to view the tracks online without downloading the track.gpx file this is done easily just by clicking on the "View On Map" and you can view the file in Google Maps or with Satellite imagery or a hybrid of both.

To download a track file you first have to upload a track file for sharing. Instead of "Pay to Play" you "Share to Play"

Edit: Others can use GPSXchange's "View On Map" feature to view your tracks in Google Maps with the road, satelite, or hybrid imagery without having to upload a file first, but do have to register.

Edited by eaparks

Not sure if this is what northernpenguin is using but GPSVisualizer will do this.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google

I found this site a couple of minutes before you posted. Thanks.

My method is pretty simple. I use GPSBabel to convert the track to KML and then post it on my website using Google Maps. Easy way to build a Google Maps widget is to use the Google Code Playground. I use this method for updating the track live in the field, with a mobile phone and Google Latitude as well.

That's assuming you want the track on *your* website. The other above mentioned solutions work well too.

My method is pretty simple. I use GPSBabel to convert the track to KML and then post it on my website using Google Maps. Easy way to build a Google Maps widget is to use the Google Code Playground. I use this method for updating the track live in the field, with a mobile phone and Google Latitude as well.

That's assuming you want the track on *your* website. The other above mentioned solutions work well too.

Great timing on this post. I'm looking at putting a Google Map with caches overlayed on top of it and this post seems to point me in the right direction. At least I hope it does!

Assuming I get the data from geocaching.com using Pocket Queries and then export the data to KML using GPSBabel, how does one get the fancy cache icons to show up, and with cache details in the information bubble?

Thanks in advance!

Great timing on this post. I'm looking at putting a Google Map with caches overlayed on top of it and this post seems to point me in the right direction. At least I hope it does!

Assuming I get the data from geocaching.com using Pocket Queries and then export the data to KML using GPSBabel, how does one get the fancy cache icons to show up, and with cache details in the information bubble?

Thanks in advance!

Careful - posting your Pocket Queries to a website screams Terms of Use violation, and I'm pretty sure Groundspeak won't be pleased.

Careful - posting your Pocket Queries to a website screams Terms of Use violation, and I'm pretty sure Groundspeak won't be pleased.

I'll have to read the user agreement again, but if I'm just showing my own personal cache finds I would think it would be ok. Better to check first though.

So how do web sites like this one do it?

http://igo.tamatoledo.org/new-iowa-caches

Just be careful. Wouldn't be a bad idea to email contact@geocaching.com and ask if they'd mind what you're up to. Far better than finding out you can't get Pocket Queries or log onto the site anymore!

Technically sites like the one you linked to shouldn't be doing that, but that's up to Groundspeak to manage. For adding the icons and such to a Google Map, there are examples at the Google API site (above) that should give you what you need.

Is there a way to download your tracks from Garmin to a public online map (google or something simular) so others can see where you've been?

Get the program: G7ToWin which works with all versions of Windows. Connect your Garmin and load all your active and saved tracks. You will see them in spreadsheet format. You can sort by date or name. Select the ones you want and export them in GPX format.