Deleting Geocache files on Garmin Oregon 400t for Mac Users

I have a Garmin 400t and a beautiful Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I am trying to delete about 500 old Geocaches from the GPS unit.

I have spent several hours on the Groundspeak forums, the Garmen manual and the Garmen Oregon Wiki, but have not been successful in deleting the hundreds of geocaches on my Oregon, which are leftovers from the previous owner.

I have gotten as far as successfully downloading Garmen Communicator Plugin and accessing the gps unit's files, but that is where the problems arise.

When I connect with a USB cable the following appears: "Mac OS X can't repair the disk "GARMIN". You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to the files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can". I then click OK and move on. Perhaps that is the problem, but I am able to access the files and folders under "GARMIN". They are 3498139-wpts.gpx, 3498139.gpx, 3498139.zip 3584017-wpts.gpx, 3584017.gpx, autorun.inf, and two folders- Garmin and Wherigo. In the Garmin folder there is a folder called GPX which has the files 3584017-wpts.gpx and 3584017.gpx and a folder Current. Current has the same two files as under GPX and another one, Current.gpx.

I am not allowed to click and drag any of these to the trash bin. When I try, Finder says the file cannot be deleted.

Even if it could be deleted, how would I know it is the correct file to delete? None of the Geocache names on the GPS appear on the computer. For ex. there is a Geocache called GCYT3W in the Oregon, but i cannot see that anywhere in the GARMEN file on the computer.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

I have a Garmin 400t and a beautiful Mac Pro running Snow Leopard. I am trying to delete about 500 old Geocaches from the GPS unit.

I have spent several hours on the Groundspeak forums, the Garmen manual and the Garmen Oregon Wiki, but have not been successful in deleting the hundreds of geocaches on my Oregon, which are leftovers from the previous owner.

I have gotten as far as successfully downloading Garmen Communicator Plugin and accessing the gps unit's files, but that is where the problems arise.

When I connect with a USB cable the following appears: "Mac OS X can't repair the disk "GARMIN". You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can't save changes to the files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can". I then click OK and move on. Perhaps that is the problem, but I am able to access the files and folders under "GARMIN". They are 3498139-wpts.gpx, 3498139.gpx, 3498139.zip 3584017-wpts.gpx, 3584017.gpx, autorun.inf, and two folders- Garmin and Wherigo. In the Garmin folder there is a folder called GPX which has the files 3584017-wpts.gpx and 3584017.gpx and a folder Current. Current has the same two files as under GPX and another one, Current.gpx.

I am not allowed to click and drag any of these to the trash bin. When I try, Finder says the file cannot be deleted.

Even if it could be deleted, how would I know it is the correct file to delete? None of the Geocache names on the GPS appear on the computer. For ex. there is a Geocache called GCYT3W in the Oregon, but i cannot see that anywhere in the GARMEN file on the computer.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

The Geocaches are in the GPX files that are in the GPX Folder. Those are the ones you should delete.

Check and make sure that the GPX folder isn't locked. In the finder, click on the GPX folder, go to the File menu and Get Info (command-I). Make sure that the "Locked" box is not checked. Also make sure your permissions are set to Read & Write.

Trash everything in the GPX folder you don't want to keep. (The 3498139.gpx and 3498139-wpts.gpx are pocket queries and the 3498139.zip is the package containing the PQ's) you can trash all of them. Hope that solves your problem.

It sounds like the memory on the garmin is corrupted in some way. You might try backing up everything, if possible, and then trying to reformatting the volume, although I'm not sure you can actually do that with your mac. Check the forums here for possible solutions - http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

Edit -

These are the files you want to delete -

3498139-wpts.gpx, 3498139.gpx, 3498139.zip 3584017-wpts.gpx, 3584017.gpx

3584017-wpts.gpx and 3584017.gpx

With any of these, try right clicking them, and then choosing the "get info" choice. A tall, narrow window should pop up with lots of info about the files in it. Near the top is a window labeled "General:" - and near the bottom of this window are two check boxes, stationary pad and locked. Make sure neither of these is checked - uncheck them if they are. Also look at the bottom, in the Sharing and Permissions window - it should say "You can read and write". If this is all hunky dory, you should be able to drag the files to the trash, and then empty the trash before disconnecting the garmin.

If none of this helps, try using the disk utility app on the Garmin volume. Try verifying the disk, and then repair disk if you can. Please reread the part about backing up everything first before doing any of this.

Edited by sduck

dear twinjayhawks, RonFisk and sduck,

thanks for your help. the problem has been solved and i will explain how so you and perhaps others will benefit.

the files were not locked, so that was a good suggestion, but not relevant to my issue.

interestingly, the files could not be dragged to the trash, but they could be deleted by right clicking with my new super duper magic mouse.

i also ran a disk utility on it after backing up the files to my desktop. first i verified and then repaired without any problems arising.

now when i reconnect the gps unit, it does not say "Mac OS X can't repair the disk "GARMIN", so I am thinking the files were somehow corrupted and are now OK.

also, and perhaps most importantly, all of the old undesirable files (geocaches and waypoints) are erased, so all is well!

again, many thanks.

fred