PN-30 Multiple PQ's

42at42

I am new to the PN-30. I upgraded my firmware to 2.7. I figure why learn 2.6 and then re-learn 2.7. I have also read that you can put on multiple PQ's and keep them in seperate files. How do you do this?

I use GSAK. I uploaded 2 PQ's to the unit, they are both there but the file is combined.

If I have two or more PQ's to cover a certain area and they overlap, will there only be one occurrance of a GC# on the unit?

Many more ??? to come but this is a start.

Edited by 42at42

I am new to the PN-30. I upgraded my firmware to 2.7. I figure why learn 2.6 and then re-learn 2.7. I have also read that you can put on multiple PQ's and keep them in seperate files. How do you do this?

I use GSAK. I uploaded 2 PQ's to the unit, they are both there but the file is combined.

If I have two or more PQ's to cover a certain area and they overlap, will there only be one occurrance of a GC# on the unit?

2.6 and 2.7 are not a this OR that.

2.6 is this, and 2.7 is this and that, so it is not relearning, it is learning more.

Now, if you want to go ahead and load the results of two PQs on two separate files on the SD card, I can help with that.

However, I do not use GSAK for that, so I can't help with that and my step-by-step would be otherwise.

Your call, I'll check back later.

The steps for installing multiple PQs on the 40 using GSAK are as follows:

1. Load first PQ to 40 as normal

2. On 40, go to wapoints>file>save as, and name the file what ever you want

3. Highlight and press save. The PQ is now saved to the SD card.

4. Delete all geocaches/waypoints. Don't worry, the file will remain on the SD, it's just removed from internal memory.

5. Send next PQ to 40.

6. Repeat steps 2-4...and so on...and so on

Not a simple process but version 2.8 should fix that.

I haven't really paid attention but would say that overlapping waypoints/caches wouldn't make any difference because only 1 GPX file is loaded to internal memory at a time so there should be no duplicates.

Edited by Pax42

2.6 and 2.7 are not a this OR that.

2.6 is this, and 2.7 is this and that, so it is not relearning, it is learning more.

Now, if you want to go ahead and load the results of two PQs on two separate files on the SD card, I can help with that.

However, I do not use GSAK for that, so I can't help with that and my step-by-step would be otherwise.

Your call, I'll check back later.

Any help I will read. Please post your method here. THX

I tried the other method mentioned here. I was able put my American caches in a separate file. My Canadian caches are not in a file. That will help so when I look for the next closest cache, I don't have to cross the border :P to get it.

10-4:

Multiple Waypoint/Geocache Layers/Folders:

This is what I do to get geocaches onto an SD card with one folder for each PQ and using the PQ name as the folder name, or cache/waypoint collection name on the PN-XX.

FIRST: Install FirmWare 2.7 on your PN-40:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=21288

1. With my PN-40 connected, I turn it on and select “Map Transfer”, then “Transfer to SD Card.”

2. I open the email from geocaching.com which contains the *.zip file with the PQ results, caches, unzip the file, and then “Copy To” to the ....\DeLorme Docs\Draw folder. Saving over prior versions, if prompted.

3. With Topo 8 open, the Draw tab active, and the File.... button clicked, I click on the Import... button, navigate to the ....\DeLorme Docs\Draw folder, select the gpx file that I just unzipped and click the Open button.

4. Over on the left at the layer listings, I click on the layer name, of the just imported file.

5. With my PN-40 connected, I turn it on and select “Map Transfer”, then “Transfer to SD Card.”.

6. I then look to the right and click the Export... button, navigate in the uppermost dropdown list box, Save in:, to the SD card's folder named gpx (create one if none present), then I check, or enter the file name, the save as file type, gpx, and click the Save button. Saving over prior versions, if prompted.

Notes:

1. Repeat above for PQs if some of its caches have child waypoints.

2. To save non-geocache waypoints, or waypoints in general, perform steps 3 – 6.

3. You may have any number of waypoint/geocache layers, or gpx files on your SD card.

4. The layers may contain all geocaches, all non-geocache waypoints or a mix.

5. After loading to the PN-40, navigate by:

Menu – Waypoints – Menu – File…- Open, then select file. or waypoint layer.

10-4:

Multiple Waypoint/Geocache Layers/Folders:

This is what I do to get geocaches onto an SD card with one folder for each PQ and using the PQ name as the folder name, or cache/waypoint collection name on the PN-XX.

FIRST: Install FirmWare 2.7 on your PN-40:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=21288

1. With my PN-40 connected, I turn it on and select “Map Transfer”, then “Transfer to SD Card.”

2. I open the email from geocaching.com which contains the *.zip file with the PQ results, caches, unzip the file, and then “Copy To” to the ....\DeLorme Docs\Draw folder. Saving over prior versions, if prompted.

3. With Topo 8 open, the Draw tab active, and the File.... button clicked, I click on the Import... button, navigate to the ....\DeLorme Docs\Draw folder, select the gpx file that I just unzipped and click the Open button.

4. Over on the left at the layer listings, I click on the layer name, of the just imported file.

5. With my PN-40 connected, I turn it on and select “Map Transfer”, then “Transfer to SD Card.”.

6. I then look to the right and click the Export... button, navigate in the uppermost dropdown list box, Save in:, to the SD card's folder named gpx (create one if none present), then I check, or enter the file name, the save as file type, gpx, and click the Save button. Saving over prior versions, if prompted.

Notes:

1. Repeat above for PQs if some of its caches have child waypoints.

2. To save non-geocache waypoints, or waypoints in general, perform steps 3 – 6.

3. You may have any number of waypoint/geocache layers, or gpx files on your SD card.

4. The layers may contain all geocaches, all non-geocache waypoints or a mix.

5. After loading to the PN-40, navigate by:

Menu – Waypoints – Menu – File…- Open, then select file. or waypoint layer.

Thanks, I think I have a lot of learning on TOPO 8