Creating Caches

ConkDonk

Well I'm a relatively new cacher with my buddy kickthehack hailing from Massapequa Park, Long Island, NY.

There are a lot of caches around my parts, but one thing really eats at my mind... Who does one contact for permission to place most of these caches.

Seeing as most are in the Massapequa / Tachapausha preserves, who owns these lands?

My question basically is - How am I supposed to know who to contact for permissions to place a cache? Who would I contact for Jones Beach? For Massapequa Preserve? A lot of this makes me skeptical regarding the legitimacy of the caches already placed.

And reason I'm asking is that I have been thinking about placing one, but I'm really at a loss for who to contact. I have not yet determined the location, but if I do end up with a location, I'll probably be at a loss for who to contact... It also seems like a very arduous process to get a cache approved from the admins.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks in advance,

ConkDonk

The Massapequa Preserve is owned by Nassau County. Not sure who you would contact, why don't you try asking some of the cache owners who have hides there?

Jones Beach is a state park. You need to fill out an application for a permit and mail it to the Long Island Region Headquarters. They usually take about 2 weeks to get back to you.

Permits

Belmont Lake State Park

625 Belmont Avenue

Babylon, NY 11702

Edit to add: Tackapausha Preserve is operated by the Nassau County Department of Recreation and Parks. I believe some of the museum employees are Geocachers, you may want to stop there and ask.

Edited by Jeepster++

I agree with Jeepster++ to contact some of the hiders of caches in MPP and Tackapausha, however I don't believe there are any permits needed for the Nassau County parks. Brltrns would know about both. Be very careful in hiding in those parks that you are far enough away from already hidden caches or you'll have to move them.(been there done that)

This includes unavailable caches.

You'll want to load ALL the caches in the area to your GPS, then when you pick a spot look for the next closest. If it's less then .10 you need to find another spot.

Lastly, if you are going to hide caches you need to maintain them. Welcome to the game!

Edited by hallycat

I appreciate the replies gents!

It just seems ovewhelming - The work that goes into hiding - As opposed to just putting a cache somewhere and posting it on the site.

I will contact brltrns as well, hopefully they will have some advice.

First placing seems like a really intricate process, hehe. I will get on that.

I'm a lady cat ;) So is brltrans.

Don't stress too much over it, in fact it's good to get lots of different kinds of finds under your belt before you start to hide. Nobody will fault you for it and it will give you better insight.

You should come to the event in February and meet some of us.