gps software?

scrapes

I am new to GPSing and caching, it is kind of consuming. I love the woods and this is something to add to the mix other then just walking. So I have a new 60Csx and am working thru its capabilities, I need maps.

My plan is to get the city maps and northeast topo. Are these something I need to cache? I hike so the topo is important to me for hiking.

What maps do you guys use for caching?

Does anyone use a 4gig sd card with their 60Csx? From what I understand they changed the software so a 4GB sdhc card can be used.

Hi everyone, thanks foe the help, and I look forward to being part of the group. Thanks :anibad:

Thanks for the replies, gpsfiledepot.com, looks like a good source. I'm waiting for Garmin to publish their Northeast topo in DVD, for the trail info, seems they have great trail detail.

So many questions..............I'll read the forum first.

0 degrees wind chill here in the Northeast, but the dog and I will be out there! thanks

I'm waiting for Garmin to publish their Northeast topo in DVD, for the trail info, seems they have great trail detail.

I wouldn't be so sure that Garmin's Northeast Topo is more detailed or more accurate than the FREE maps you can get on gpsfiledepot.com. Topo 2008 came bundled with my Venture HC and as I used it, I noticed that the trails, roads, and land features never quite lined up with the location I was standing at. I went to gpsfiledepot.com and found "Florida Topo Map", installed it, and when I opened Mapsource, I was blown away with the amount of detail as you zoomed in. This link, http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/123/ , will take you to the Florida Topo info page, and about half-way down the page, you will see screen shot comparisons of Florida Topo, Garmin Topo East, and Garmin Topo 2008. From my personal experience, the comparisons are correct. Florida Topo is much more detailed, and land features, road, and trail placement are more accurate than either Garmin product.

With detail also comes the consumption of memory, and with Topo 2008, I loaded topos for half of Florida, half of Louisiana, all of Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and a small parcel in upstate New York. In order to load just "4" blocks of Florida Topo maps for the Tallahassee, Florida area, I had to dump all the Topo 2008 maps from my GPSr. The detail is very good, trails and land features are where they're supposed to be, but a lot of memory is used.

I would suggest that you delay your purchase of Garmin's Northeast Topo until others have had a chance to use and review it. Until then, I recommend that you go to gpsfiledepot.com and find the map for your state and try it out for yourself. If you don't like it, you've lost nothing and you just uninstall it from your computer. Good Luck! :anibad:

P.S.

When I looked-up your profile, I noticed you're caching in New Jersey, so here's the link for that info and download page: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/114/

Edited by rocketsteve