magellan explorist 100

I have the chance to get a brand new in box magellan explorist 100 for fairly cheap. Before i seal the deal i just wanted to see if anyone here has used this one and if so, is it a quality machine for the price? i.e. good reception in forested areas, easy to use, well built, withstand lots of use. I don't care about not having all the bells and whistles. Basically looking for consumer reviews from geocachers instead of just general gpsr users. Thanks!

I couldn't find anywhere if this unit is one of the high-sensitivity... anyone know?

Edited by KrazyRaider051685

Never used an Explorist 100, but have used Explorist 400, 500, and 600. The explorist line does not have a high sensitivity chip. I'm not sure about heavy tree cover, but it has good reception.

I would not buy for geocaching as the 100 will not connect to a computer. You will have to manually enter the coordinates for each cache. The explorist line is a good for geocaching, just get one that will connect to a computer.

Never used an Explorist 100, but have used Explorist 400, 500, and 600. The explorist line does not have a high sensitivity chip. I'm not sure about heavy tree cover, but it has good reception.

I would not buy for geocaching as the 100 will not connect to a computer. You will have to manually enter the coordinates for each cache. The explorist line is a good for geocaching, just get one that will connect to a computer.

My first GPSr was a 210, my mother has the 400, and now I use the 500. I have never lost signal. Not even in an extremely tight canyon with very dense old wood tree cover (my buddy turned his Garmin off 1/3 of the way in). There is nothing wrong with the chipset in the Explorist line.

That being said, I agree with you about it being the main unit since you cannot download to it. If I ran accross one for $25 bucks it would be a great back up. But defiantly not the main.

I do recommend someone on a budget to get an Explorist 210, 400, 500 if you can get it under $100. Over that you can get new units with a warranty.