new guy

my son introduce me to this thing called geo-caching ,(he's in the usmc in japan now) he went with some friends and loved it so of course he sent dad some pic's and a little note about it . so now i have ordered 2 garmin oregons 200's, one for me and one for him . (its a family thing lol ) well just want to say hello to everyone and can't wait until this weekend to start . its just what i need to get some riding time on my 2008 honda gl 1800 white goldwing motorcycle . any and all help would be nice ,is there any way you can tell if the cach is on dirt or gravel roads. thanks hope the hear from everybody.. gavin lott (gl1800wingboy)

Edited by gl1800wingboy

welcome to the game...my mom and dad ride a bike similar to yours, so you've found a great way to see some new country.

As far as knowing what type of road a cache is on, you can pretty much bet that the highways are going to be paved, and you can usually tell by looking at the map on your GPS. If it's a highway, or designated county or state road, it's probably paved (at least that's how it is here in Utah). The BEST way to tell is to copy and paste the coordinates into Google Earth and have a look. You can tell if it's pavement or not pretty easily from there. I don't know if you have an iPhone, but you can see what type of road you are going to be on with that, as well. Very convenient, if you are on your bike.

Welcome to Geocaching! You may also want to look at "creating a route" on the Geocaching site. If you like to ride a lot, you can create a route and then set up a "pocket query" to find caches along the route. You have to have a premium membership (worth the money), and it is easy to set up the query. A lot of fun if you are out on a ride and have some time to cache as well.