Converting Google Earth Images to Garmin Custom Maps

adkgps

Merry Christmas! I just wanted to add my two cents about Topofusion. If you can swing the $69.95 for the Pro version, it is the perfect tool to add many different kinds of maps to your Garmin Oregon/Dakota/Colorado. I have been playing around with it, and it is much easier and in many cases higher resolution than Google Earth and other map sources. All I need to do is zoom in on the area I want, select the type of map, hook up my GPSr, and download the map! The program automatically georeferences the maps, and tiles them as needed for use in the GPSr. It even lets you know when you go over the 100 files limit. Finally, you can also add shading to any of the maps, which really adds to the clarity of the display.

I have no connection at all to the Topofusion company, other than to let you know that it is a great resource for downloading raster maps. Okay, back to the eggnog and watching "A Christmas Story."

Thanks to the previous posts, I have used TopoFusion Pro to send both georeferenced single USGS topographic maps and photographic imagery to my Oregon 400. I have not figured out how to tile to add a larger area of the USGS maps or photographic imagery to the GPS unit. Can anyone explain how you actually do the tiling?

I'm pretty sure GE by itself does not tile photo maps. All you can do is save the picture in your display. If you still want to use GE, you need a program like graster that will tile it for you. Just google graster to find the website. But then, you are doing multiple steps that topofusion does automatically. Plus, TF adds shading to any of your maps, which really make the maps "pop out" on your GPS.