links to videos

I am not sure the advertising guideline would apply to something like youtube. It is generally to prevent a person from advertising a business which you wouldn't be doing.

To get a specific answer go to the bottom of one of your hides and click on the reviewer's name and send him/her an email with the question.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did that already and yes youtube links are not allowed.

I am doing a series of caches based on my favorite magicians of all time and want to put links up to videos of them performing on the cache page.

Now youtube cannot be used cause there is advertising on the site. Any ideas how I can take a youtube video and host it on a site without the advertising issue?

ps.... for free

Many photo hosting sites like Flikr and Photobucket also can host videos

Just watched a clip on Google Videos, no ads there.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

If Youtube isn't allowed why is this cache approved. Maybe you should change reviwers

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...96-bab213fc0a78

I think this may be the crux of the problem:

I do not own the videos, just found them on youtube.

That one that you've linked to in CA, the video was actually created by the cache owner. She has one or two others similar to that.

I do not own the videos, just found them on youtube.

Are the videos just "decorative," providing some magic background for your magic-themed cache? Or do the videos provide some essential information required for finding the cache?

If the videos are necessary to finding the cache, please don't use videos that you don't own. What happens to your cache if the owner of the video decides to delete them?

Actually, some reviewer guidance would be appreciated here. I wasn't aware a link to youtube is frowned upon. I mean, we're not talking about embedded videos, which is not possible in the first place.

If the link is only to provide some additional information and not essential to finding the cache, does that mean a link to any website with embedded advertising is disallowed? So links to a google search, some blogs, any personal site with AdSense, etc. is not allowed?

Can someone point me to the relevant section of the guidelines please? (not being argumentative here - I really don't know if it exists, and I don't claim to be a guidelines expert).

Actually, some reviewer guidance would be appreciated here.

A fair question to ask :)

This is probably the most oft piece of guidance that I use, and the one I most frequently include in Notes when I have some concerns over Commercial content in a Listing:

Guideline Changes and Clarifications

Concerning youtube videos, this portion of the Guidelines would more than likely apply:

....if the cache listing has overtones of advertising, marketing, or promotion.

If a link to a video with commercial overtones is there just as window dressing, not created by the cache owner , and not integral to the Listing, I would more than likely question it as well.

I hope that helps.

I have a video puzzle cache which uses YouTube to host the video portion of the puzzle. Had no concerns about the content either while getting it published.

As such, I suspect, too, that the rejection was more from the fact that the video content was not created by the owner and, if I am understanding things correctly, wasn't/weren't needed to find the cache itself.

Also, since I have no idea what videos were being linked to, it is possible that the videos were ad-enabled revenue generating partner videos -- like from a magician's personal YouTube account. Which I am sure would automatically bring a red-flag of rejection down on your submission. If you upload your own videos (i.e. videos you have made yourself) and don't bother listing the video as a YouTube partner when you upload it shouldn't get the ad-generating in-video pop-up nor any of the banner materials that Partners usually cover their video pages with, and would probably be far more agreeable to your local gatekeeper(s).

If a link to a video with commercial overtones is there just as window dressing, not created by the cache owner , and not integral to the Listing, I would more than likely question it as well.

I hope that helps.

Thank you, it does. The OP seemed to imply that linking is disallowed because it is to youtube (perhaps I misread). You would base your decision on the content of the video, which is entirely reasonable.

Sure. Right. Was that what I was thinking? Must be. OK, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Thnanks Nomex :)

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI