gps woot

11/09/09 -

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has shown an interest in GPS, you might like to know the TomTom XL 325 4.3-inch portable GPS navigator is the featured Deal of the Day at Amazon.com. This offer is valid today only, December 9, 2009, and while supplies last.

Our Deal of the Day price is just $89.99--40% off the list price of $150.

Advent 4” Touchscreen Portable GPS Navigation System w/ XM Satellite Ready

is selling in woot for 64.00 +5 shipping

Woot is in the middle of a Woot Off, so unfortunately, The GPS in question is no longer available. During a Woot Off, items are sold only until they run out of stock, and usually there are only a few of any given item on hand. its sort of an attempt to move unsold stock.

On a different note, in the recent past, another mod has closed down a thread in the Garage Sale forum because it was promoting a great deal for a gps on a commerical site (no, it wasnt spam, but a user letting the rest of us know about a killer price). At the time, the explanation given was that the "these forums are meant for the personal buying and selling of equipment, not to promote businesses."

At the time i found this a bit heavy handed, as the user wasn't "promoting" the business, but sharing with the rest of us a price cut on a decent geocaching gps. At that time, the Mod even went so far as to edit the name of the website with the deal (thankfully, i read the thread before being edited and managed to order mine in time to put under the xmas tree. ;) )

While I thought this a heavy handed approach at moderation, I didn't think much of it, as were are all here, playing in Groudspeaks house, and the rules are yours, not ours. I've been on the mod / admin side of the fence on some large commercial forums, and I know just how much crap you guys have to put up in the weay of spam control, trolls, and just plain jerks who enjoy arguing purely for the sake of arguing.

In the end, this begs the question, what are the rules for this forum regarding users posting commercial deals on GPS equipment? Is it allowed, and if so, where?

edit : it's probably worth noting that I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers at all, or step on toes, I'm just hoping for clarification.

Edited by maggi101