24k Topo West?

nfennie

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but if I am only interested in a detailed CA topo map is there any advantage that Garmin's 24k topo West version has (other than routable trails) over the free CA Topo version at GPS file depot?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28

vs

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=35407

I am just tryig to see if I drop $125 or wait for the 911Mb download and install.

Thanks for any insight.

- N Fennie

The Calif topo at GPSFileDepot is Laura Sanborn's VR6 map. From reading the info on the linked page, it looks like it's made with 100K data and has 20' contour lines, except in areas below sea level. Not bad for free, but not for everyone. The Garmin map does turn by turn autorouting, and has quite a bit more POI's.

What I like about Laura's topo maps is that I can view it simultaneously while navigating with my route-able street maps. The install did not take long to download. If you have dial-up, that would differ. ;)

Look for MetroGuide North Amercia V8. Its the last version that came out, but maps are still relatively current. And you can find freeware to make them routable.

What I like about Laura's topo maps is that I can view it simultaneously while navigating with my route-able street maps. The install did not take long to download. If you have dial-up, that would differ. ;)

Look for MetroGuide North Amercia V8. Its the last version that came out, but maps are still relatively current. And you can find freeware to make them routable.

That is a nice thing about that install, you can load the contour layers separately from the road data, so you can add them to City Navigator or MetroGuide or whatever.

That is a nice thing about that install, you can load the contour layers separately from the road data, so you can add them to City Navigator or MetroGuide or whatever.

:)

Thanks. I already own City Navigator 2009, so I will check out Laura's Version so I can "read trhough" the topo data.

I have the GPS file depot CA topo map loaded. But i ONLY use the contour lines and overlay them onto TOPO 2008. the file depot map has no POIs. Seems to work well enough for me. Its nice being able to only select the contour lines.

There are limited POI's in the planimetric layer. You can even see them (the blue dots) on the MapSource screen example on the page linked to in the OP.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but if I am only interested in a detailed CA topo map is there any advantage that Garmin's 24k topo West version has (other than routable trails) over the free CA Topo version at GPS file depot?

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28

vs

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=35407

I am just tryig to see if I drop $125 or wait for the 911Mb download and install.

Thanks for any insight.

- N Fennie

I bit the bullet and purchased Garmin's 24k Topo West on dvd because, at the time (if my memory is correct) you could only use Garmin's maps in BaseCamp. Also, with Garmin's 24k Topo West map, I can view terrain in 3D mode (in BaseCamp). I've also used some the the gpsfiledepot maps, but I do like the garmin maps better. Just my preference.