Triangulation, triangularization, potato, pototto...

Headhardhat

I recently put out a new GeoSnippits video for demonstrating the basic principle of triangulation. This is used for finding a geocache in heavily wooded areas.

In the definition portion of it I used the word "triangularization" instead instead of triangulation. After looking it up on the internet I found it was used interchangeably or at the very least I hope it is being used interchangeably. Either way the idea of finding ground zero when your GPS is not cooperating is the point of the video and I hope you get something out of it.

http://headhardhat-geocache.blogspot.com/2...ache-using.html

-Enjoy

HHH :D

Keep in mind that triangulation is not just useful in obscured horizen situations like the forest, I use it all the time in urban caching.

When a cache is close to a wall the GPS signal bounces off of the wall, therefore accuracy close to the wall is often confused and degraded.

Walk away from the wall and use triangulation... get two good compass bearings whose lines intersect at a third... that's where the cache will be!

Triangulation versus Intersection

Triangulation and its related method, intersection, are used in surveying as well as in general land navigation (including inshore marine navigation using shore-based landmarks). Both methods involve taking azimuths or bearings to two or more objects, then drawing lines of position along those recorded bearings or azimuths.

When intersecting lines of position are used to fix the position of an unmapped feature or point by fixing its position relative to two (or more) mapped or known points, the method is known as intersection. At each known point (hill, lighthouse, etc.), the navigator measures the bearing to the same unmapped target, drawing a line on the map from each known position to the target. The target is located where the lines intersect on the map. In earlier times, the intersection method was used by forest agencies and others using specialized alidades to plot the (unknown) location of an observed forest fire from two or more mapped (known) locations, such as forest fire observer towers.

The reverse of the intersection technique is appropriately termed triangulation. Triangulation simply reverses the intersection process by using crossed back bearings, where the navigator's position is the unknown. Two or more bearings to mapped, known points are taken; their resultant lines of position drawn from those points to where they intersect will reveal the navigator's location.

Triangulation versus Intersection

Triangulation and its related method, intersection, are used in surveying as well as in general land navigation (including inshore marine navigation using shore-based landmarks). Both methods involve taking azimuths or bearings to two or more objects, then drawing lines of position along those recorded bearings or azimuths.

When intersecting lines of position are used to fix the position of an unmapped feature or point by fixing its position relative to two (or more) mapped or known points, the method is known as intersection. At each known point (hill, lighthouse, etc.), the navigator measures the bearing to the same unmapped target, drawing a line on the map from each known position to the target. The target is located where the lines intersect on the map. In earlier times, the intersection method was used by forest agencies and others using specialized alidades to plot the (unknown) location of an observed forest fire from two or more mapped (known) locations, such as forest fire observer towers.

The reverse of the intersection technique is appropriately termed triangulation. Triangulation simply reverses the intersection process by using crossed back bearings, where the navigator's position is the unknown. Two or more bearings to mapped, known points are taken; their resultant lines of position drawn from those points to where they intersect will reveal the navigator's location.

Way cool, I learn something new every day! What I was calling triangulation is actually intersection. Thanks!