http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

seldom_sn

Maps from this site are available for the whole world. It is a volunteer effort. In places where people are actively updating the map, I suspect the quality of the maps and routing is quite good. However, much of the data for the US was uploaded from the US Census Bureau Tiger files, and these files were not originally intended for vehicle routing, but to assist Census takers in there enumeration.

If you respond, please try to keep your answer quantitative.

How long a trip did you take?

Did the maps get you there?

If not, where did they break down?

Did they take you to a road that wasn't there?

Make you turn too late or too early?

Route you POI that aren't there?

Thanks,

Just tried these maps in SW Florida the other day. The main thing I noticed is that one-ways are not recognized, so the route tried to send me the wrong way up an interstate on-ramp. Re-calculating a route was not very effective because of this same issue.

I certainly appreciate this open-source effort, however, and with some common sense the maps got me to my destination. Thanks to all that made these maps available.

oes anyone know where to report errors for correction? I think its a wonderful resodurce if people get into the habit of posting error corrections. I was directed to take a left turn onto a road that was 30 feet above me (overpass)

The way to deal with map errors anywhere in the world is to register with OpenStreetMap and correct the errors yourself.

They have an online editor called Potlatch and an offline Java editor called JOSM. All linear objects, called "ways", are "tagged" with data like "level" (won't make turns between ways on different levels) and "oneway".

I don't have a lot of experience in OSM road editing because Tiger files for my area are pretty accurate, and most of the maps I make are topos, which OSM doesn't support at 24k. They do a nice 100k topo however called Cycle Map. I don't know if its available as a Garmin downloadable.

oes anyone know where to report errors for correction? I think its a wonderful resodurce if people get into the habit of posting error corrections. I was directed to take a left turn onto a road that was 30 feet above me (overpass)

The way to deal with map errors anywhere in the world is to register with OpenStreetMap and correct the errors yourself.

They have an online editor called Potlatch and an offline Java editor called JOSM. All linear objects, called "ways", are "tagged" with data like "level" (won't make turns between ways on different levels) and "oneway".

I don't have a lot of experience in OSM road editing because Tiger files for my area are pretty accurate, and most of the maps I make are topos, which OSM doesn't support at 24k. They do a nice 100k topo however called Cycle Map. I don't know if its available as a Garmin downloadable.

I tried to reguster here http://forum.openstreetmap.org/search.php and got a "not accepting New registrations" error. Is there another place to go?

I tried to reguster here http://forum.openstreetmap.org/search.php and got a "not accepting New registrations" error. Is there another place to go?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43&l...;layers=B000FTF

Click the sign up button.

Okay... I've gone to http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php,

built my routable maps, got the email and link to pickup the package...

Acting on faith - not knowing any better - I downloaded all nine files into their own discrete directory. After unzipping, they blossomed into lots more!

Amongst the nine files is [osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip] containing [gmapsupp.img]

Questions:

1) Is OSM's [gmapsupp.img] the only file needed to be loaded on the Garmin?

2) If that's true, should I have only downloaded [osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip] and left the other original 8 files untouched?

3) After renaming [gmapsupp.img] -> [OSM_Test.img] and uploading onto my OR 550, the name displayed under the Setup>Map>Map Information Select Map>Enabled - is family name with the added name underneath of OSM World Routable - Is there anyway of changing these names?

Now, in answer to seldom_sn's questions:

How long a trip did you take? Test drove in simulation mode a 5 mile and familiar route to friend's house in rural Maine.

Did the maps get you there? Yes.

If not, where did they break down? N/A

Did they take you to a road that wasn't there? No.

Make you turn too late or too early? The question needs a little sharpening. The audible tones occurred most of the time early and well ahead of the intersection while zoom levels (auto setting on Garmin) increased at intersection after I had manually zoomed out. One instance; however, the audible tone failed to sound at an intersection. Obviously, tests in the field will be needed, but there you have it FWIW.

Route you POI that aren't there? N/A

I've been using these maps for awhile, but have been editing on Openstreetmap much longer.

The biggest issues I find with the autorouting is some roads that have a broken connection along their route so the gps will avoid this road since it doesn't think the road connects straight though. This is easily fixed on OSM but I find these type of errors all over.

There are also oneway road issues, as long as the OSM data contains the 'oneway: yes' tag & the way marked in the correct direction these roads route just fine too.

I also find allot of areas where hwy ramps/exits are not drawn correctly, they have a connection shown where an over pass should be, so the autorouting avoids the ramps & just makes a turn at the overpass. This is also very easily fixed in OSM by correcting the data.

I use these as backup maps to my city navigator maps, there are times I prefer the OSM data since it has allot more trails & parks shown correctly. Whenever I find errors I fix them & hope others do the same. These maps may not be that great now, but they have improved greatly since I started using the site a few years back. The more people who contribute The sooner these maps will be as good if not better than the maps you pay for.

Questions:

1) Is OSM's [gmapsupp.img] the only file needed to be loaded on the Garmin?

2) If that's true, should I have only downloaded [osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip] and left the other original 8 files untouched?

Yes, you only need to download the gmapsupp.zip file & extract then load the img file to your gps.

Good to see Im not alone trying to make these work. I have been reading the wiki and am beginning to understand how the parts all work. Havent dived in yet, as I want to be sure I'm not s&^%^ the pooch with my limited experience.

Question: There's an intersection that I need to correct. There is a divided highway running north to south. An overpass crosses it east to west. the GPSr routes it as a grade crossing yet the east west road is 60 feet above. It routes because there is a node in common between the 2 roads. What is the corredt method of correcting this data? Do I remove the common 2 nodes, redraw a new east west segment and tag it overpass, or something else? If it matters the present tags for both roads appear to be form the tiger source database.

Good to see Im not alone trying to make these work. I have been reading the wiki and am beginning to understand how the parts all work. Havent dived in yet, as I want to be sure I'm not s&^%^ the pooch with my limited experience.

Question: There's an intersection that I need to correct.

One way to correct the data is to compare the area in question to an area that does route correctly. Fixing these issues doesn't take long at all, unless the road has changed allot then you might need a few GPS tracklogs(GPX files) to correct the issue.

If anyone wants me to take a look at a spot where they think there is an error in the data I can take a look and fix where necessary. Just PM me the location. There are two ways you can do that,

1. To get a link to the exact spot just find the location on OSM and click the permalink or shortlink button in the lower right of the map. now copy the address in the address bar in to your PM.

2. Give city, state, direction from town, road name, intersection in your PM.

I've been using these maps on my Oregon since last year. It all started with me taking a short trip to Europe and I didn't want to purchase maps so got them for free off the garminroutable site. Since I didn't have USA streetmaps on my new Oregon 400t yet, I started using these OSM maps for my part of the country, in and around NYC.

My main project has been populating the hiking trails that I walk on while geocaching and putting them on the map. I have several miles of the long trail complete, for example. I'm not exactly sure if I'm using the potlatch exactly correct, as far as labeling my trails go. I tried to see if there was a US standard but there really isn't yet. the most important thing is that I am tracing my hikes and putting the trails on the map. someone can easily come along latter and re-label my trails at some point if a standard developed. For now, I'm making hiking trails "footpaths", partly because I like the way the red dots stand out on the map, as opposed to a plain black or brown dashed line.

Now, with frequent updates, those trails of mine show up as routable trails when hiking the same routes.

As far as the OP goes, I do leave my GPSr on and trace and route my driving as well, whether I am geocaching. going to work, or just about anywhere. I've been told that the more tracing information that is loaded up to the site, the better. it helps more advance users determine what the speed limit is on various roads I guess.

When I do spot a problem, like a disconnected road at a state boarder, or a screwed up highway interchange, or oneway road mistakes, I usually just fix them myself in potlatch.

How long a trip did you take? usually about 45 minutes

Did the maps get you there? usually

If not, where did they break down? oneway roads, statelines, highway interchanges

Did they take you to a road that wasn't there? usually not

Make you turn too late or too early? a little late but that could be GPSr's fault

Route you POI that aren't there? ?

some of my work are these trails