Dave Ulmer

LenaG

Hey,

I really searched a lot in the internet, in forums and even in a library but I could not find anything about contact data of Dave Ulmer. I'm really interested in geocaching and I would love to speak to the founder himself to get to know his inspiration and his original idea. Presently I am collecting informations about geocaching because it is the topic of my final exam in studies.

Does anyone of you know his e-mail adress? Or any other way to contact him?

This means a lot to me. So thank you for your help.

I'm looking forward to your answers.

So, thanks and bye,

Lena

There are undoubtedly people at Groundspeak or this forum who could help you directly, but this

article was done a few years ago. The people connected with it may be able to help you. You could contact them through the links on the page. Interesting idea for a final.

Dave Ulmer seems like a cool guy. Would love to hear more about him.

That said, like so many other good ideas, I think some one else would have come up with the idea within weeks if he had not. The environment was rich for this sort of thing.

Two examples of this are the telephone, and the automatic telephone switch. Both were independantly co-developed within days of the original invention. I am sure there were others, but I can't think of them right now.

There are undoubtedly people at Groundspeak or this forum who could help you directly, but this

article was done a few years ago. The people connected with it may be able to help you. You could contact them through the links on the page. Interesting idea for a final.

Yes. One of the writers of that article has many posts to these forums, but hasn't been heard from in a while. The other one is not allowed in the forums. :blink: Either way, you could look up those usernames easily and contact them. [EDIT] Even easier, there are links to their profiles in the article.

Be advised though, that Ulmer is estranged from Geocaching.com, and is said to not be all that happy about the way the hobby evolved. Some of these points are discussed in the article linked to above. I don't know that he'd grant an interview to someone doing a report, but you never know. Best of luck with your project.

On a side note, I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that Ulmer's cache pages have been restored by Geocaching.com!! I'm sure many people know about how he changed their names to Moved1 - Moved5, and moved the coordinates to the middle of the ocean.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Back in 2004 somebody gave me a DVD that had a later interview with Dave Ulmer as well as the original stash footage linked to above. All I remember is that he was interviewed somewhere in the desert while sitting beside a camper and a dirt bike. I haven't seen it online since and I'm not sure who the author was. The DVD is in storage but I'll see if I can locate it. If I can find out the author and get permission I'd like to post it to Youtube (if it hasn't been done already).

Does anybody else remember that one, or have a link to the video?

Edited by DavidMac

OH thanks a lot to you all!

I gonna read the article and watch the video although I'm quite sure that I have seen it already.

But really thank you for your advices.

I'm still in the first steps of research and if anyone of you also want to tell me about his or her expirience with geocaching I would be really happy. I don't want to get on your nerves but if anyone of you are willing to participate in an interview and maybe also talk about Dave Ulmer, feel free to contact me.

Thank you a lot!

OH thanks a lot to you all!

I gonna read the article and watch the video although I'm quite sure that I have seen it already.

But really thank you for your advices.

I'm still in the first steps of research and if anyone of you also want to tell me about his or her expirience with geocaching I would be really happy. I don't want to get on your nerves but if anyone of you are willing to participate in an interview and maybe also talk about Dave Ulmer, feel free to contact me.

Thank you a lot!

Can't help you with Ulmer but you might get some fodder for your article from the stories about geocaching published in The Online Geocacher Magazine.

We would love to publish your article when you get it written as well.

The account daveulmer has 15 online logs. Dave has found many more that he has not logged online.

I have found 2 caches that I saw his log on paper as "the father of geocaching". I still have a DVD (TV Classics-Red Skelton) that he left as SWAG in one of my buddies caches.

I don't know where else he caches, but the Cascade Lakes highway was once one of his favorites.

I made a note of his visit in my log of "PMOGUY's Swimming Hole.

Yes. One of the writers of that article has many posts to these forums, but hasn't been heard from in a while. The other one is not allowed in the forums. :blink: Either way, you could look up those usernames easily and contact them. [EDIT] Even easier, there are links to their profiles in the article.

Be advised though, that Ulmer is estranged from Geocaching.com, and is said to not be all that happy about the way the hobby evolved. Some of these points are discussed in the article linked to above. I don't know that he'd grant an interview to someone doing a report, but you never know. Best of luck with your project.

On a side note, I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that Ulmer's cache pages have been restored by Geocaching.com!! I'm sure many people know about how he changed their names to Moved1 - Moved5, and moved the coordinates to the middle of the ocean.

It hasn't been that long has it? You can contact me and i will give you the last email address I have for Dave. My email address is JC364@aol.com.

El Diablo

Yes. One of the writers of that article has many posts to these forums, but hasn't been heard from in a while. The other one is not allowed in the forums. :) Either way, you could look up those usernames easily and contact them. [EDIT] Even easier, there are links to their profiles in the article.

It hasn't been that long has it? You can contact me and i will give you the last email address I have for Dave. My email address is JC364@aol.com.

El Diablo

Naw, 16 posts in 2009. I think I need to strive for that total in 2010. :) ....must....not...post....any...more....