ticks!

Pucketts

i have a couple of questions about ticks. I know about the products used to protect aganst ticks. I was wondering when the tick "season" is done (Im in MI)? the other questuon i had was what dose everyone else use? ive gone to some caches lately and have had ticks (found one on my cat full of blood and the wife found one crawling on her hand) was wondering what works the best?

tick season is anytime the temperature is above freezing. ticks can live eighteen months without a meal, so if it's warm enough for them to be awake, they'll be toasty for a little snack.

that would be you.

your best bet is vigilance; check everywhere for them when you come in. they're gravity-sensitive and will always crawl upward on your body. things like waistbands will stop them and that's where they'll dig in.

some people use poisons; i won't, and so can't advise you on that.

but when you get an embedded tick, DO NOT burn it, suffocate it, or squeeze it.if you hurt it, it will simply puke up the contents of its stomach into you,and if it's carrying disease that would be bad. pull it out gently and firmly.

it's helpful if you wear clothing that doesn't have many entry points; you can tuck your pant legs into your socks. wearing light colored clothing makes them easier to find while they're still outside.

and of course, if you have an infected bite, or a tick that's been embedded for a few days, seek medical treatment.

Spraying your clothing with a permethrin based repellent and your skin with DEET will help, but the best defese is a full body check after you get home. Throw your clothing right into the wash, not on the couch. Also spray your pack with permethrin.

As Flask mentioned, there is no "tick season". I've seen them out with snow on the ground on a warmish January day.

I also use permethrin on my clothes and gear. I don't often use stuff on my skin unless the flying nasties are bad. I ALWAYS do a full-body check, however. Doing that, I've only found one attached tick and dozens of them just walking around.

I haven't had much issue with them getting in under the cuffs of my pants, but I HAVE had a problem with them getting through holes higher up my pants, like the one you get on the zipper of zip-off legs and on pants that have vent holes in the crotch. Boxer briefs that fit snugly (I have some Marmot ones that are perfect) keep the ticks out of areas with lots of nooks&crannies where they can hide. Shirts with button closures (this includes MANY synthetic hiking shirts) are a major entry point, and an undershirt should be worn.

I've learned these things over the years as I've encountered ticks.