Oregon newbie questions

nfennie

I am an owner of a Garmin 60Csx and recently purchased an Oregon 300. I am putting the 300 through the paces but I haven' found answers to the following questions. Any help answering these will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Ned F.

1)Is there a way to show the circle of accuracy around the location icon on the map page?

2)What is the maximum number of map segments it can read from a image file (*.img)?

3) Can it read 8gb Micro SD cards?

4) Can it read custom maps from the SD card? If so, does the *.kmz file have to be in a specially named folder?

5) Can I make several image files and load them all on the card, and will it read them all?

6) Since it didn't come with any maps (other than the default basemap) is it necessary to back up all the files loaded on the unit or will it rebuild the default files if I have to hard reset it?

7) Is there a way to turn the background on the satellite page to a light color, similar to the 60Csx? (This would sure help the legiblity in daylight.)

Check out this link : http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

2. Map tiles : 4000.

3. Mine shows up with all 8 GB of space (well, 7.4GB due to funny numbering). According to the wikispaces page, only 4GB of map is supported.

4. I suspect yes (I have not tried). Directory is X:\Garmin\CustomMaps\ where X is the drive letter (of Garmin or your microSD)

5. I have two image files (base map and one I downloaded). Under setup you can choose which one (or both) to display.

6. It doesn't take up much space, so I backed it up just to be safe. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that a hard reset will only delete configuration files.

I just had mine for a week, still learning as well, apologies for being fuzzy on some of the answers.

Check out this link : http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

2. Map tiles : 4000.

3. Mine shows up with all 8 GB of space (well, 7.4GB due to funny numbering). According to the wikispaces page, only 4GB of map is supported.

4. I suspect yes (I have not tried). Directory is X:\Garmin\CustomMaps\ where X is the drive letter (of Garmin or your microSD)

5. I have two image files (base map and one I downloaded). Under setup you can choose which one (or both) to display.

6. It doesn't take up much space, so I backed it up just to be safe. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that a hard reset will only delete configuration files.

I just had mine for a week, still learning as well, apologies for being fuzzy on some of the answers.

Thanks for your response. I did look over the Wiki FAQ after I posted, so I found some of the answers there as well.

One other question if you don't mind: What is the significance of the little number at the bottom right of the satellite view?

Thanks and happy geotrekking! - Ned F.

What is the significance of the little number at the bottom right of the satellite view?

Looks like elevation to me. You're referring to the one that says XXX ft on the lower right of the big box that shows the satellites, right?

Back to the list of original questions, (1) seems to be no, disabled by Garmin in an earlier update.

5. You can have a number of IMG files in the Garmin folder on your chip and they ALL will show. Can be confusing if you have multiple maps of the same area. A convenient way around this is to rename the extension for the files you don't want to see something like IMX.

6. Before discovering the above trick with the extension, I did a master reset trying to get rid of an experimental map I was working on, where I had renamed the name but not the extension. All the maps were there after the master reset including the problem map. The only thing I lost was my tracks and waypoints. I didn't have any customized profiles.

5. You can have a number of IMG files in the Garmin folder on your chip and they ALL will show. Can be confusing if you have multiple maps of the same area. A convenient way around this is to rename the extension for the files you don't want to see something like IMX.

6. Before discovering the above trick with the extension, I did a master reset trying to get rid of an experimental map I was working on, where I had renamed the name but not the extension. All the maps were there after the master reset including the problem map. The only thing I lost was my tracks and waypoints. I didn't have any customized profiles.

Thanks, this is really helpful, especially the reset information. Though I don't want to try it unless it is really necessary. To be safe I copied the entire fiile set to my hard drive of my PC.

4. is a definite YES... I have custom maps on my card ONLY.

They need to be in the directory as indicated X:\Garmin\CustomMaps\ (I initially made the mistake of putting them in a Custom Maps directory only - it doesn't work, has to be within the Garmin directory)

DD

Thanks, this sounds like the way to go.