Another Nuvi question

bobandrobin

Morning all, I have read a lot of posts re. the Nuvi and paperless caching and I like the idea. I have a Lowrance I Finder Expedition C and I like the large bright screen and electronic compass. It seems to me the Nuvi would give me the paperless function and the added benefit of a gps in the truck. I do a lot of caching in the dark and this would be very handy. There are lots of used Nuvis in various models available in my area for under $100. Thought I had it all figured out. I would get a Nuvi, load cache info from GSAK, set a route of say 15 caches in the order I wanted to hunt them and go.

Last night I read OLDA'sFans thread re. the sale at REI, and talked to them about the Nuvi 265wt they have on sale and found out the unit is not capable of loading a route of caches in a certain order. The lady went as far as saying she didn't think any Nuvi models were.

Are there any Nuvi owners out there with a different take on this? Seems I have read about others doing this with a Nuvi.

I am trying to figure out a more efficient way to the next cache than selecting the closest cache from the waypoint list. Sometimes I will drive miles to get to the cache that is 1/2 mi. away because of ditches, RR tracks and street layout.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Being limited to what caches we can do, I figure what route I want to take and then check on the GC-Google map caches along that route that I think we want to do. I put them on my watchlist and then get a PQ for those caches. Load them on the Nuvi 550, Etrex Vista HCX and the 76CXS. I also export them to MS S&T and print out any maps I think will help us. While I have all the cache info on the NUVI 550, I may print out the print friendly of the cache page. Most geocachers will probably not go to all that trouble, but it is our style and it works great for us.

Dick

I have the 750W and can confirm it has the routing functionality. I find it easier to create the route in MapSource then download it to the Nuvi. You can also create the route in the Nuvi - just select the waypoints (or address) you want and have the Nuvi create the optimal route. You can then add or delete waypoints from that route.

For the paperless feature, I use jjred's Advanced Nuvi Macro. It's a tad more flexible than the Nuvi macro by pilotsnipes - even he recommends it.

You'll also like the mp3 feature and built-in FM transmitter to listen to those mp3's on the car radio.

The 750 also creates tracks but, unfortunately, you can't download tracks to it.

Good luck - don't hesitate to ask questions if you get stuck.