Wanting to launch new TB attached to figure

svaquarelle

I am new to this and wanted to ask advice before launching a TB attached to a plush toy. In your experience, how large can a toy be and still travel sucessfully? Also, without giving away exactly what I am going to do, I suspect that this item will not always land in Geocaches. It may travel through airports and be picked up by interested travelers. This will expose them to the whole Geocaching deal as long as some fairly detailed explanation is attached to the TB and toy. Do you have recomendations how that is best achieved so a newby can log on and log the movement of the TB, see where it has been and understand what to do next? Thanks!

SVAQUARELLE!

Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic gives a good answer on size.

Big bug = slow mover, teeny tiny bug w/improvised tag = lost, if you can close your hand around it = just

about perfect.

I don't know how much instruction you were planning to provide but I release mine using a self-laminating 3x5 luggage tag. I suppose you could find larger ones to use.

If you intend to leave your bug in places other than caches to expose people to the idea of caching I would have to warn you that you run a very high risk of having it go missing. Bugs have a hard enough time being carried and logged by people who are already members.

I want to speak up for the larger plush toy.

I am my own TB. Eeyore Tulip.

Many cachers have tried to fit me into a cache. They have failed. However, cachers have welcomed me with opened arms as I have been thrust into them by other cachers who have enjoyed my company. I travel from cacher to cacher, event to event. All that is required is good geocaching spirit and a ready supply of carrots.

I have not yet tried airline travel.

I am new to this and wanted to ask advice before launching a TB attached to a plush toy. In your experience, how large can a toy be and still travel sucessfully? Also, without giving away exactly what I am going to do, I suspect that this item will not always land in Geocaches. It may travel through airports and be picked up by interested travelers. This will expose them to the whole Geocaching deal as long as some fairly detailed explanation is attached to the TB and toy. Do you have recomendations how that is best achieved so a newby can log on and log the movement of the TB, see where it has been and understand what to do next? Thanks!

SVAQUARELLE!

How would the item be tracked? It seems like your intent is to have the item picked up dropped off at locations other than caches. Trackables can only be logged in an out of caches (including virtual caches, but not EarthCaches). Cachers know where to find the travelers as they appear on the various cache pages.

Another consideration, since you specifically mentioned airports, are you actually planning to leave "an unattended item" in a airport or having some one else travel with an item that could be considered questionable (origin and/or exact nature unknown)? Hopefully you can see the potential for problems there.

On a releated note, however, are you possibly thinking of something that is more along the lines of a book? If so, are you aware of bookcrossing.com?

SVAQUARELLE!

How would the item be tracked? It seems like your intent is to have the item picked up dropped off at locations other than caches. Trackables can only be logged in an out of caches (including virtual caches, but not EarthCaches). Cachers know where to find the travelers as they appear on the various cache pages.

Another consideration, since you specifically mentioned airports, are you actually planning to leave "an unattended item" in a airport or having some one else travel with an item that could be considered questionable (origin and/or exact nature unknown)? Hopefully you can see the potential for problems there.

On a releated note, however, are you possibly thinking of something that is more along the lines of a book? If so, are you aware of bookcrossing.com?

Ok, very interesting on the bookcrossing...but, not a book, a stuffty. Is there a tracking system you know of which just posts a traveling around page...like the TB's personal journal without having to associate it to a cache? So could it be removed to an unknown location and still log journal entries? Thanks for the input.

SVAQUARELLE

maybe you could attach a Book to the traveler that is registered at Bookcrossing...All you need is the ISBN number to register a book. Perhaps there are some blank journals that have an ISBN number?

I think I see what you are trying to do, and honestly...Travel Bugs are not the best option for this. One must be registered at the site to use them, and that will quickly find a person who will be detered from logging.

I've played a few games where I drop rendom things for people to find, and just opened up a special Hotmail for people to email me when they find them. seems to work OK, but most of the found items are never reported. Many or even Most people who do not already play games like these will simply lookm at the item and say "That's stupid, I'm not touching it"

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

OK, I am convinced that the TB is not the correct tracking tool for my idea. It would work if there were caches at airports (not talking about commercial airports as much as private and small general aviation airports.) however, in looking over the map, this is the exception rather than the rule.

You are correct that a book traveling with a stuffty would do the trick, but this really subverts the object of bookcrossing as I understand it and I don't want to do that.

A dedicated web page which could be logged onto with an event recording look (diary) similar to a TB journal but without the need to reference a cache locatin would probably work best. Everyone could access that with the correct code and log an entry before sending the item on its next journey. I am certain Groundspeak could easily do this, kind of like they morphed Geocaching into Waymarking. Anyway, thanks for the input guys! Onward!

SVAQUARELLE

Edited by svaquarelle