Windows 7 - Staying Logged onto to geocaching.com

Gary&Vicky

This is probably a Windows 7 question and not a geocaching.com problem but I'll post it here in hopes that the smart people reading the forums will have an answer.

My new computer has Windows 7 and I use Firefox as my browser. Then I select "Open Waypoint URL" from GSAK to check out the cache page, a new tab opens to the selected cache page (just like my old computer and Windows XP). The problem is.... I have to "log in" to my geocaching.com account. Fortunately, the log in windows are already filled in with my user names and password, so I just have to click on Login. I always place a "check" in the Remember me (requires cookies) box. Sadly, my computer does not seem to be remembering me. As long as I don't close Firefox, I stay logged in no matter how many times I leap from GSAK to GC.com.

Any thoughts or solutions come to mind?

Thanks in advance.

Go to tools | options | privacy tab.

You'll see a section in the middle called cookies.

Change the "keep until" from "I close firefox" to "they expire"

Thanks for that idea. It turns out my setting was already set at "they expire"

next idea?

Are you running any kind of "privacy" or cookie manager type add-ons? Some of those may clear cookies on their own.

Are you running any kind of "privacy" or cookie manager type add-ons? Some of those may clear cookies on their own.

Anti spyware/adware programs will remove cookies. I have no doubt that active protection programs will clean up on a regular basis.

Do you have anything that might fit the bill?

Edited by Arrow42

I started suffering the same problem in my household on 3 laptops all running Vista when FF upgraded to 3.5. A bit of digging on the FF help site, suggests its a corrupted file within Firefox. You have to dig deep into FF, delete the file and then close and restart FF which will recreate the file. As it involves digging deep I've not fancied having a go.

I had the same issue with one update in FF v2 which resolved it's self on one of the updates.

Anti spyware/adware programs will remove cookies. I have no doubt that active protection programs will clean up on a regular basis.

Do you have anything that might fit the bill?

I use ESET NOD32 for my anti virus - spyware. It does not seem to mess with access to other cookie requiring websites (like Facebook).

I started suffering the same problem in my household on 3 laptops all running Vista when FF upgraded to 3.5. A bit of digging on the FF help site, suggests its a corrupted file within Firefox. You have to dig deep into FF, delete the file and then close and restart FF which will recreate the file. As it involves digging deep I've not fancied having a go.

I had the same issue with one update in FF v2 which resolved it's self on one of the updates.

I'll give this a try.