Whats this person doing...

mike-ski

TB Reference...TB26XTJ

Ok I'm new...but looking at this TB what is this chick doing with it? I have only done a couple TB's...but this seems a little weird. Is this what is meant my logging "TB for miles"? Is this normal? Why even do it...whats the point of bringing your own TB around to all your finds. Like I said I'm new and I have certainly noticed that people are into this for different reasons.

TB Reference...TB26XTJ

Ok I'm new...but looking at this TB what is this chick doing with it? I have only done a couple TB's...but this seems a little weird. Is this what is meant my logging "TB for miles"? Is this normal? Why even do it...whats the point of bringing your own TB around to all your finds. Like I said I'm new and I have certainly noticed that people are into this for different reasons.

It's a personal travel bug, something that a few of us log through every cache we visit.

Just so you know, maintaining a personal TB is a pain in the rear. You have to be dedicated to keep up the logging.

Edited by BlueDeuce

It's neat for awhile and it can be pretty amazing to see some of the caching mileage you rack up...you don't even realize how much you drove around that day until you look at your trackable miles. But, after my 500th find, I gave up on keeping a personal geocoin. Even finding 10 or so caches in a day made it a pain in the butt to keep retrieving the coin back out before logging the next cache.

Bruce

Why even do it...whats the point of bringing your own TB around to all your finds. Like I said I'm new and I have certainly noticed that people are into this for different reasons.

It's a personal travel bug, something that a few of us log through every cache we visit.

Just so you know, maintaining a personal TB is a pain in the rear. You have to be dedicated to keep up the logging.

It's not that much of a chore for me. When logging finds for the day, I keep a second tab open for my Traveling Pig TB (which currently has over 200K miles on it!). This speeds up the process. The retrieval takes about 5 clicks this way.

I did this with my first geocoin, which I got at a local annual event I attended in 2008. I ended up keeping up with logging it into every cache I visited until I reached the same event a year later. It was an interesting challenge to see how many I could find. I ended up with 1200 finds.

It is painstaking at first until you learn some tricks. For me, Greasemonkey scripts helped me to set things up that sped up the process to just some basic clicking. It does become a chore after a 30 or 40 find day, but if you are dedicated to it, you'll keep it up. I don't plan on doing it again any time soon but it was an interesting experience.

Thanks guys...I knew it was something. I am finding out that that geocaching means different things to different people...and some really take it seriously...like out of the box seriously. So to each there own and I'm out...

You've discovered one of the greatest aspects of geocaching--there is room for many different styles, preferences, etc. (within certain limits of course). And if you keep this in mind you'll save yourself a lot of grief. If you spend much time in the forums, you'll quickly see too many cachers getting too worked up over things that probably shouldn't matter.