Using Topo Maps and Navigational Charts vice a GPSr

EJKorvette

I am recently putting a toe into the local geocashing waters (sometimes literally!). I would love to get out there and find some caches but I don't have the funds for any sort of GPSr.

Someone mentioned using topographical maps, and I think sailing charts could be used as well. All I have to do is mark the lat and long that is given for the cache right on the map or chart as accurately as I can, then go to wherever that is and look for the cache as described.

Any other comments or tips? Until I move in the next week or so, I live a block near Commercial Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale, and about a mile from the ocean where Commercial Blvd. goes over the bridge and ends in the sand next to Aruba Restaurant.

I have the maps for the area right next to the ocean, and the area just west of that. I am sure I can get charts from someone or even buy one from the sailing goods store (I do lats and longs much better on a chart vice a topo map).

I would like to get a few local caches before I move.

Any ideas?

EJKorvette mka Evan