Garmin NUVI 500 - Maps on memory card

eaparks

I am trying to find out for a friend who is getting a NUVI 500 if when maps are added to the micro sd memory card for a Garmin NUVI 500 how is the map file name recorded?

1. Is the map file on the memory card named gmapsupp.img?

2. If the answer to 1. is Yes; then can the gmapsupp.img file be renamed to Custommap.img and be recognized by the GPS, like on the Oregons?

3. Per Garmin it looks like a 16Gb memory card is the largest recommended, is this correct? Any additional information as to size or type of card would be appreciated?

I searched on Garmin's site in all the FAQs, Googled, and searched here on the forums but found nothing addressing this particular question.

Thank You.

Thanks Red90 for the quick reply.

Upon searching on the GPS Review.net forum I found where a software update for the NUVI 500 created 2 seperate gmapprom.img files: gmapprom.img and gmapprom1.img; 1 for CN maps and 1 for Topo after this update, instead of having both in gmapprom.img. So would a gmapprom2.img be recognized?