Garmin 60CSx and Tide Charts

Maya Bee

I have read some older posts on this topic but can't find anything that will help me. Basically, I bought my 60CSx because a friend had one, and I liked the Tide Chart info it provided. I was reassured when I bought mine that it had that capability. (My friend purchased MetroGuide Canada v4 but NOT bluechart maps.)

So now, I don't have Tide Charts on mine! I called Garmin support and they said I would have to purchase Bluechart maps to get tide info. But I want to use my Topo sd card because I primarily use it for hiking. Believe it or not, knowing when the tide is high or low is very helpful when hiking on the Wet Coast of BC!

Has anyone else come across this problem? I think Garmin changed their products over the years, and the newer versions don't have tide charts. If that's the case, how can I use 2 mapsets on my gps?

I have read some older posts on this topic but can't find anything that will help me. Basically, I bought my 60CSx because a friend had one, and I liked the Tide Chart info it provided. I was reassured when I bought mine that it had that capability. (My friend purchased MetroGuide Canada v4 but NOT bluechart maps.)

So now, I don't have Tide Charts on mine! I called Garmin support and they said I would have to purchase Bluechart maps to get tide info. But I want to use my Topo sd card because I primarily use it for hiking. Believe it or not, knowing when the tide is high or low is very helpful when hiking on the Wet Coast of BC!

Has anyone else come across this problem? I think Garmin changed their products over the years, and the newer versions don't have tide charts. If that's the case, how can I use 2 mapsets on my gps?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=161

Download the second download link, i have US topo, topo 2008, and a national parks west, among other maps and it just added an additional mapset which has tide points for the US and Canada.

My topo 2008 has tide info, but this one is more complete in coverage

EDIT: when you say topo sd card, is that preloaded from garmin? if thats the case, i dont know if you will be able to add this mapset i posted a link for. all of my maps are on CDs/DVDs

Edited by bjb670

Your 60CSx should have built-in tide tables. Hit the FIND button, scroll down to the Marine icon and press ENTER. You should see the Tide Station icon. Press ENTER again and you will see a list of the closest tide stations based on your GPS location. Select one and press ENTER again to view the tide charts. If times are tough to estimate, hit the MENU button and select the Show High/Low option. This will give you the high and low tide times, easier than reading the charts.

Icdgirl,My 76csx came with Americas Marine Point Data Base on it,and I dont recall seeing many Canadian tide stations on that,maybe a few but not many.I have since purchased the blue chart cd to also get Canadian tide charts,I have lots now,and because that cd is now disscontinued,and will soon be only available as a chip.Which means you cant view any of it on a computer.If you are interested in this cd try gpscentral.ca in Calgary.I have bought lots from them and they have better prices than anyplace in the Vancouver area.As another alternative Canadian tide charts are free online and you can print them out,but I dont think you'll get them from Garmin for free.

Edited by Forkeye

Icdgirl,My 76csx came with Americas Marine Point Data Base on it,and I dont recall seeing many Canadian tide stations on that,maybe a few but not many.I have since purchased the blue chart cd to also get Canadian tide charts,I have lots now,and because that cd is now disscontinued,and will soon be only available as a chip.Which means you cant view any of it on a computer.If you are interested in this cd try gpscentral.ca in Calgary.I have bought lots from them and they have better prices than anyplace in the Vancouver area.As another alternative Canadian tide charts are free online and you can print them out,but I dont think you'll get them from Garmin for free.

you sure can get them for free from garmin and they are very complete.

here is the coverage of canada

tides.jpg

Edited by bjb670

Wow ! Guess I was wrong .Where did you get all those?From the Americas marine base map?

The link is posted above, http://www8.garmin.com/software/Recommende...desSoftware.exe It is North American tide data that installs into Mapsource and you can send as a "map" to any Garmin unit.

exactly, its super easy to use and as you can see there are a TON of tide points to predict tides.

Thanks guys ,there also seems to be a few more tide stations in some areas,but a few less in others than in my 2008.5 version of Blue Chart,I'll just load them both up.

interesting, well at 164kb for the entire continent of north america, its pretty easy to just add it to any existing mapset!! :rolleyes:

I use CityNavigator for my travels and BlueChart for my boating and kayaking. I have the Bluechart mapset loaded on one SD card then swap to another SD card for CityNavigator. It's a pain but don't know of any other option. I do love the 60Csx

If you have them both in mapsource ,try loading them both into your gps and then you just have to go into the map setup screen to turn off Blue chart to view your City Navigator,turn Blue chart back on when you want to view it.Blue chart is probably overiding your City Navigator ,it overides my topo maps that way.

I use CityNavigator for my travels and BlueChart for my boating and kayaking. I have the Bluechart mapset loaded on one SD card then swap to another SD card for CityNavigator. It's a pain but don't know of any other option. I do love the 60Csx

If you have them both in mapsource ,try loading them both into your gps and then you just have to go into the map setup screen to turn off Blue chart to view your City Navigator,turn Blue chart back on when you want to view it.Blue chart is probably overiding your City Navigator ,it overides my topo maps that way.

Thanks for that info! I just popped the BlueChart SD chip in and still don't see anything about tides anyway. My old GPSmap162 has the tides built in. Guess I need to study up.

Even though tides come on the bluechart cd rom,they still have to be selected seperately on your mapsource .Select your tides for the areas you want ,select your unlocked bluechart area,select any other map areas such as topo or city navigator and then send them to your gps.The tide stations will show up on maps even with bluechart turned off.

Edited by Forkeye

1. I do not have a "Marine" icon. When I hit FIND I get: Waypoints, Geocache, Cities, POI, Exits, Recent Find and Geographic Points. Nothing Marine. I have compared my 60CSx with a friends and the screens are different. The ONLY differences between our units is his is 2 years older and he's using City Navigator (CD), I'm using Garmin BC/AB Topo (SD). So it sounds like it's something to do with using a CD for maps instead of an SD card...

2. I will try downloading the suggested files from Garmin, but since I use an SD card I guess I'll have to switch back and forth or will the tide charts overlay the topo?

3. I'm thinking of buying City Navigator anyways, so maybe this is an advantage to ordering the CD vs SD.

Thanks for all your posts!

Edited by icdgirl

I do not have a "Marine" icon. When I hit FIND I get: Waypoints, Geocache, Cities, POI, Exits, Recent Find and Geographic Points. Nothing Marine.

they will only show up if you have the tide charts loaded. otherwise there wont be one. did you download and install that link on garmin's website for the tide points?

My vista will only show icons for items currently loaded on the gps

Edited by bjb670

I do not have a "Marine" icon. When I hit FIND I get: Waypoints, Geocache, Cities, POI, Exits, Recent Find and Geographic Points. Nothing Marine.

they will only show up if you have the tide charts loaded. otherwise there wont be one. did you download and install that link on garmin's website for the tide points?

:) The download worked great, I sent the map from Mapsource to my gps and now I have Marine info with tide charts. Unfortunately, it looks like I overwrote my Ibycus topo SD card. When I go to "Setup" -> "Map" on my GPS the only selection I have is Tide Points. If I turn it off, I still have no topo.

I'm not sure how to get two maps onto an SD card from Mapsource, I'll have to play around with it. I still have Ibycus on a CD so I can replace it.

:) The download worked great, I sent the map from Mapsource to my gps and now I have Marine info with tide charts. Unfortunately, it looks like I overwrote my Ibycus topo SD card. When I go to "Setup" -> "Map" on my GPS the only selection I have is Tide Points. If I turn it off, I still have no topo.

I'm not sure how to get two maps onto an SD card from Mapsource, I'll have to play around with it. I still have Ibycus on a CD so I can replace it.

its super easy! ok go into mapsource, at the upper left hand corner of mapsource there should be a dropdown menu. It should have all the maps you have installed in a list (if this doesnt make sense, another way is to click "view" then click "switch to product" then choose "GPS MAP 162/168 Tide Points" then use the map select tool to select the area for the tide points you want.

THEN, go back to "view" then "switch to product" then "Ibycus USA 2.01" (or whichever Ibycus you have) This should open up a new map, then just select the map segments you want.

To double check look at the list that shows thhe selected maps and it should contain all the maps both ibycus and tide points.

then just send everything to your gps with the "send to GPS icon"

Unfortunately in garmins infinite wisdom you cannot add any map files to your gps without overwriting all existing maps

Edited by bjb670