Battery usage on the cable?

flashpuppy

I am updating my new PN40 with a bunch of maps, caches etc. I didn't realize how long this takes!!! I don't have a card reader yet so the unit is on the cable to the PC. Is it burning battery power right now? It looks like this is going to take an hour or two. Do I need to put fresh batteries in it before loading maps?

Jeremy

I am updating my new PN40 with a bunch of maps, caches etc. I didn't realize how long this takes!!! I don't have a card reader yet so the unit is on the cable to the PC. Is it burning battery power right now? It looks like this is going to take an hour or two. Do I need to put fresh batteries in it before loading maps?

Jeremy

There should be a screen indicator that shows if you're on external power when plugged into a USB port. Note that not all USB ports are powered, though by specifications they're supposed to carry a 5V current.

On the satellite screen, to the left of the battery indicator at the bottom, it should say "External". This tells you it's being powered by the USB port. If in doubt, plug it into a powered USB2 hub.

Can a moderator update the thread title to indicate that this is for DeLorme devices (the above applies to the whole PN series)?