Forced adoption?

AbMagFab

There are a handful of caches placed by a specific cache owner in my area that are gradually disappearing. The CO appears to be gone, or offline for a long time, and isn't doing anything to maintain the caches.

There are a couple that are almost in my back yard. I would like to take them over, and have some spare caches to replace them with.

I've messaged the CO but not received any response.

Is there any way to forcably adopt a cache? Is there any process in place when a maintenance post goes unresponded to months?

Thanks!

Nope - the owner must agree to the adoption. Otherwise the listing should be archived if they are not being properly maintained. Then you can go place a cache of your own if it is a worthy location.

The website does not own the cache containers - only the listing page - so they are unable to "adopt" out anything without a willing owner.

Is there any escalation process if the CO is non-responsive to multiple DNFs and maintenance postings?

The couple that are in my back yard are in a high density cache area, so it would be good to either fix them or archive them so new caches in the vacinity can be placed. Otherwise they are clogging up the 1/10 mile restriction.

Any ideas?

There are a handful of caches placed by a specific cache owner in my area that are gradually disappearing. The CO appears to be gone, or offline for a long time, and isn't doing anything to maintain the caches.

There are a couple that are almost in my back yard. I would like to take them over, and have some spare caches to replace them with.

Is there any way to forcably adopt a cache? Is there any process in place when a maintenance post goes unresponded to months?

Thanks!

I had the same issue. I had a friend move away and abandon his caches - some of which were quite good. After going back and forth with the reviewer, I was finally told in no uncertain terms "no".

Of course the solution was simple. Muggle the cache - wait a week and repost it as your own. I would suggest a new name and new logbook...but put it in the same general location or use the same theme. People will thank you for it.

Muggle the cache - wait a week and repost it as your own.

This sound a little unethical to me. :mad:

If your "friend" moved, just get him to allow you to adopt his caches, or have him archive his caches. Problem solved.

If you don't know him well enough for those options, how would you know what he planned for the caches? Maybe he has a plan for maintenance of these caches. If not, then the caches will die on their own, and you just need to be patient. Put them on a watch list and post a SBA, when someone outside the game muggles it, or when it gets damaged and no one is taking care of it.

By the way, if you muggle the cache you will need to wait more than a week. It will take a month and maybe more before it gets archive by this site.

Thanks!

I had the same issue. I had a friend move away and abandon his caches - some of which were quite good. After going back and forth with the reviewer, I was finally told in no uncertain terms "no".

Of course the solution was simple. Muggle the cache - wait a week and repost it as your own. I would suggest a new name and new logbook...but put it in the same general location or use the same theme. People will thank you for it.

In my case, the caches have already been muggled, which is the issue. If they were there, this wouldn't be a big deal (until they disappeared due to lack of maintenance).

In my case, the caches have already been muggled, which is the issue. If they were there, this wouldn't be a big deal (until they disappeared due to lack of maintenance).

If they are already missing, and the CO isn't responding, post a SBA.

I posted a NA and the process seems to be started. What's an SBA?

If they are already missing, and the CO isn't responding, post a SBA.

I posted a NA and the process seems to be started. What's an SBA?

Same thing as NA. Stands for Should Be Archived. Old school.