Mapsource/GPS map management

mntnclmbr8

I am wondering if there is, or why there isn't, a way to view and edit what maps are on the GPS unit through Mapsource on a computer. The only way to change this that I can tell is to overwrite all of the current loaded maps by sending different maps to the unit. Shouldn't there be a way to just add or delete selected maps from the device? This seems logical to me....

Shouldn't there be a way to just add or delete selected maps from the device?

Yeah, there probably should be. At least it would be nice.

The sad fact is that there isn't.

I can see one immediate problem. Or two. Anyway, it gets really messy when you start thinking about what it would require to implement it.

1. You would need to reload the compiled mapset from the device in order to add to it. This could be a very large performance issue. It already takes quite awhile to compile a mapset if it's large. It also takes quite awhile to transfer to the device. Now you would have to, first, wait quite awhile for it to transfer back from the device before the rest of the work could even start on the addition.

2. Yeah, gotcha covered ... you could save a copy of the mapset on your PC when it's loaded to the device, just in case. For some folks that's not an issue. For many people it would be a headache. Takes up space for no good reason (until you need it, of course). And what are the chances you'll remember where you saved it when you need it? (I can tell you it would be pretty slim in my case.)

...ken...

I am wondering if there is, or why there isn't, a way to view and edit what maps are on the GPS unit through Mapsource on a computer. The only way to change this that I can tell is to overwrite all of the current loaded maps by sending different maps to the unit. Shouldn't there be a way to just add or delete selected maps from the device? This seems logical to me....
Just because you've made two posts and can envision a more logical world, doesn't make it so.

But what you seek is starting to happen. With the latest Colorado firmware, you can make and load multiple *.img files and the CO will read them all saving the user from loading all of them at once as is required by your 76CSx. When and/or if your 76CSx will get this feature I can't say.

Until then you have load all the maps at one time and then turn each map set on/off inside the GPS.

Who said life would be prefect?!?