HEY DeLorme...can we get more

Rockin Roddy

After trying to load a PQ to my already partially loaded PN-40 yesterday, and being denied on every attempt, I thought I would ask this simple question! Is there any chance that you can give us more room for caches? Can you figure out a way to NOT have the POI (child waypoints) or other custom user inputted waypoints count toward the waypoint amount? Is it a simple fix which can be made with an update?

1000 is a big number and I am more than happy with the ability to load all those, but would LOVE the ability to load at least 2 complete 500 cache PQs (complete as in with child waypoints) to my PN-40!

Anyone feel this way as well? Share your thoughts and maybe we'll get DeLorme to take notice?? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my PN-40, just looking at ways it might be made even better!! Also, any other thoughts along the line of how to make the PN series better would be welcomed...

Edited by Rockin Roddy

DeLorme has a forum specifically for PN-30/PN-40 suggestions.

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=134

This request comes up often.

Many people, myself included, don't go to the DeLorme forums. Asking here where cachers do visit more often could be helpful for DeLorme to know what we would like to see. I see this thread no different than the "What would you ask Garmin" thread.

I see this thread no different than the "What would you ask Garmin" thread.
No, really it is.

Garmin only recently started hosting user forums and doesn't cater those forums to Geocachers. DeLorme has had user forums for years and does listen to their users over there. It's the best place to put suggestions to them.

May I ask why you don't go to the DeLorme Forums (or at least, why you haven't been there since April'09)?

Seriously RR, the DeLorme forums has a thread in their suggestions forum for just this request. You should spend some time there. They are responsive here, but monitor their hosted forums more closely as it involves all users, and not just a select group.

As I sated, I'm thinking I'm not alone in the large group here who doesn't frequent the DeLorme forums. I could be wrong, but if I am turned away by the more technical talk that usually goes on over there, then maybe others are as well. This is merely a new place for DeLorme users to put their wishlist. If it's outside of the tech bounds, I'm sure this will be closed down, but am hoping more wishes and ideas will be posted here since I know DeLorme does visit here from time to time. I would wager it's more often than some ould think too...

This IS a GPS and Technology forum so I don't see the harm in having this thread in here. Having more exposure for the PN series is not a bad thing. Although I don't own one, it does have a lot of nice features. People looking for a GPS that suits their needs aren't going to be reading the DeLorme boards so they would miss out on this kind of information.

Just my $0.02 ...

JetSkier

I too initially ran up against the problem of not getting 2 PQs to load. Thank goodness now GSAK is now supporting the Delorme PNs so I can weed out the child waypoints. Of course that fix only works for those of us that are GSAK users. If I could have the child waypoints and the 1,000 caches then that would be nice for everybody whether we use GSAK or not.

I have to admit I've only really spent any amount of time on the Delorme forums one time, but I have to admit I kind of understand where RR is coming from in feeling more comfortable here. I don't find the level of tech talk there as intimidating as say on the GSAK website, but I too find a large chunk of it flies over my head and I wonder what the talk is about. I do plan on trying to remember to go there more often, but that is why I'm somewhat hesitant to hang out there.

As far as what I personally would like to see I do have a very specific request, but before I put it out here in a public forum I'll need to get off my tail and break into the T8 software's manual and help function to see if maybe there's a simple fix for my little "problem". If I can't find a solution then I'll come back and say what would make me an even happier camper. :)

Well after I wrote my last post in this thread I opened T8 and within 60 seconds stumbled onto the answer to my problem and it was exactly where I should have known to look. So I guess I can put off reading the owners manuals for a while more now.

There is one very small detail on the PN-40 that Delorme really messed up on. I was thinking it was just me, but I just received an E-Mail from a lady and she said it too, so at least I'm not the only one to notice it. What I'm referring to is the location you attach the lanyard to the PN-40 is on the wrong and so it's almost impossible to read it while it's hanging around your neck. I really would like Delorme to fix that for future buyers, but I've owned mine for I think a little of a month and that's my only complaint so far so I'd have to say Delorme is doing a darned good job. :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

It's ok to make noise here too, but the reason the DeLorme thread is suggested, RR and MC, is it keeps that thread bumped up to the top making the voice stronger and louder in their own backyard.

I encourage you both to make more use of those forums. You don't have to be intimidated by the higher level tech talk. When it gets beyond you, they are ok with breaking it down so it makes sense. You won't get your head bit off.

Where do you think I got my know-how on this gadget anyway? :)

.......You don't have to be intimidated by the higher level tech talk.....

Roger that. My technobabble is no more intense over there! :)

Oh yeah, and if you did check in over there periodically,

you might have known that some Waypoint enhancements are on the agenda for a future firmware update.

THANKS for sharing that with us Cowboy, those of us who never visit there will be happy to hear that!! :D

I can handle most of your technobabble, but hate it when my head is spinning from the tech talk I never understand. I will go over and voice my interest in that thread though, since you guys say it'll help.

Another thing I would LOVE DeLorme giving us is the ENTIRE WORLD!!! :P