GPS Track/Trip log

Doug@TMSG.net

I need some help from the experts. I need a GPS unit I can carry in my camera bag that will give me a print out on my MAC of DATE TIME & LACATION. I have a Nuvi 660, it doesn't do trip logs and it is to big to hang on a camera bag. I need some thing that will register the location on a timely bases to match with photos being taken. Is there any one out there doing this that can offer me assistants ? I have found several of the "GPS Data Loggers" but none that will works with a MAC.

I need some help from the experts. I need a GPS unit I can carry in my camera bag that will give me a print out on my MAC of DATE TIME & LACATION. I have a Nuvi 660, it doesn't do trip logs and it is to big to hang on a camera bag. I need some thing that will register the location on a timely bases to match with photos being taken. Is there any one out there doing this that can offer me assistants ? I have found several of the "GPS Data Loggers" but none that will works with a MAC.

Go to Amazon.com and search for"gps data logger mac". Seems to be several to choose from.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Mikeomni1

Go to Amazon.com and search for"gps data logger mac". Seems to be several to choose from.

Regards,

Mike

Any GPS that records a track can do what you want in regards to the timestamp, and the data can be downloaded and manipulated or printed out in many different formats. (I'm not a mac person so I'm not necessarily up to date on mac related issues) Rather than doing a printout, there are programs where you can direct the software to your track file, and the location of the photos, it will then go in and imbed the position data from the track into the exif date of the photo file automatically, based on the time the trackpoint was saved, and the time the photo was changed. Most of the programs even allow you to make adjustments for times when the cameras clock might have been off by a little bit.

Any GPSr that keeps a track log in GPX or another format that can be converted to GPX format, and can be moved to your Mac will work. Most of the newer Nuvi models keep a track log file, but figure on a 3 to 4 hour battery life. The Nuvis look like a mass storage device compatible with Macs, so they are good.

For other GPSrs, but the question is: can you can pull a track from a GPSr or its memory card using a Mac. Even if the GPSr is not Mac compatible, you can put the card in a reader if it contains the track. Other Garmin handhelds that save the track to a memory card will work as mentioned in other posts.

The Magellans that save tracks to a memory card such as the Meridians and Explorists will work very well. They keep a nice track without wanderings. The file is in text format, so you need to do a quick conversion in GPSBabel to GPX format.

As was mentioned, use GPicSync.

Any GPSr that keeps a track log in GPX or another format that can be converted to GPX format, and can be moved to your Mac will work. Most of the newer Nuvi models keep a track log file, but figure on a 3 to 4 hour battery life. The Nuvis look like a mass storage device compatible with Macs, so they are good.

For other GPSrs, but the question is: can you can pull a track from a GPSr or its memory card using a Mac. Even if the GPSr is not Mac compatible, you can put the card in a reader if it contains the track. Other Garmin handhelds that save the track to a memory card will work as mentioned in other posts.

The Magellans that save tracks to a memory card such as the Meridians and Explorists will work very well. They keep a nice track without wanderings. The file is in text format, so you need to do a quick conversion in GPSBabel to GPX format.

As was mentioned, use GPicSync.

If the OP has can run Windows apps from his Mac, he, and any Windows geotaggers would be well advised to look at Geosetter. It's freeware and does everything GPicSync does, plus it lets you associate images with waypoints, or just spot them on the map if you have no better data. I've been using it to tag images shot with a film camera (no time stamp, but waypoint saved).