Vista HCX not showing Topo maps

Skarekrough

So I've been doing battle with my GPS trying to get it to show something other than the basemap.

I've loaded a few maps onto the unit as one individual file. I've turned off all other maps except for the Topo map. Still, the only thing I see is the yellow ground and nothing like I should be seeing as per the example of the Topo map picture from GPSfiledepot.com

Does the unit just not work with Topo maps?

Thanks for your help.

Your unit will show all Garmin compatible maps nicely, even custom made maps.

1. Were maps loaded using Mapsource?

2. If you have a card reader verify that the file is on the card correctly... Should be a file called gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder. Verify that the micro sd card is inserted properly... locks in.

3. On the map display menu the wording can be somewhat confusing at first; it reads as if it is asking you a question. It should read "Hide (whatever map you want)" inorder for it to be displayed.

4. What other maps do you have loaded? Map display hierarchy comes into play with Garmin maps... CN, Blue Charts, Inland Lakes, Topo, etc.

Edited by eaparks

Go to the Map Setup Page and scroll to the information tab on that page. The display should include the name of every map segment that you have loaded on the card. If none are displayed, something did not load properly. There also should be a check in the box for each of those segments. If not, the segment will not display.

Previous posters are all correct. I use gpsfiledepot topos with my Vista HCX regularly. I have a bunch of City Navigator maps and topos loaded. I used Mapsource to combine them and upload them. One confusing aspect of the GPS may be on the screen menu that shows options of showing and hiding different types of maps. When it says "show all City Navigator maps" that means that highlighting and clicking that choice will then show the CN maps, not that they are showing already. You're not making this simple mistake are you? I keep my gpsfiledepot topos always showing (menu choice says "hide topos") and simply toggle the CN maps between show and hide. The CN maps, when showing along with the topos, will overlay the topos and obscure them.

Your unit will show all Garmin compatible maps nicely, even custom made maps.

1. Were maps loaded using Mapsource?

I'm using as Mac so I'm using MapInstall.

2. If you have a card reader verify that the file is on the card correctly... Should be a file called gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder. Verify that the micro sd card is inserted properly... locks in.

Done. The .img file is there and the maps come up as an option on the unit.

3. On the map display menu the wording can be somewhat confusing at first; it reads as if it is asking you a question. It should read "Hide (whatever map you want)" inorder for it to be displayed.

I've removed all maps except for the one Topo. It still looks the same whether it's selected and the Basemap is turned on or off..

4. What other maps do you have loaded? Map display hierarchy comes into play with Garmin maps... CN, Blue Charts, Inland Lakes, Topo, etc.

I only have one map installed.

I've removed all maps except for the one Topo. It still looks the same whether it's selected and the Basemap is turned on or off.

Leave the basemap (that came on the unit) turned on all the time, no need to hide it. This way you will at least no where you are panning to, since the topo is not appearing.

Try panning to an area several hundred miles away that you know the topo map segment was loaded for... try viewing an entirely different topo segment. Zoom out to a large area, say 50 - 125 mile range and see if the outline of any map segments are appearing. I've seen the same screen you are talking about when I thought I had the screen in a part of the country that I had that particular map segment loaded for and come to find out I would be outside of the map segment... thus no map to view.

If none of these work remvoe the micro sd card and verify everything seems to work normal. If yes, try a different memory card if you have another and just put a few sample map segments on for testing.

Edited by eaparks