Giving up on a TB

Andiamo59

I have 2 TB's that I have gotten messages on from other cachers saying they are not in the cache that they are listed in. It has been several months with no activity. How long should I wait before I give up on them? When I do give up on them can I use the copy of their TB dog tag for a new TB?

I like to wait at least 30 days after a report of 'not in cache' before moving it to the Unknown Location.

If a bug has simply gone missing from a cache or is being held by an unresponsive cacher you need to wait about a year before re-releasing the copy. It seems like a long time but you really do need to give it that long to ensure it won't likely resurface.

If the bug was been lost or destroyed- muggled cache, flood, fire, etc. then you can re-release right away.

If the bug was been lost or destroyed- muggled cache, flood, fire, etc. then you can re-release right away.

Even then it might be reasonable to wait a bit. I once had the sad duty to inform an owner of a TB about a cache that has been muggled while his TB was supposed to be in there. About half a year later the TB reappered. It may not be unusual for cachers to retrieve the TB at the beginning of a vacation and log it after they get home which may take a while.

Don't give up just yet! My parents just found a TB outside Chicago that has been missing for 9 months. It was last seen in Chile. We have no idea how it got here, but the TB owners sent us a message and were really happy it turned up. It was very exciting to find it and let them know it was no longer missing in action. I am hoping you have the same luck!

Don't give up just yet! My parents just found a TB outside Chicago that has been missing for 9 months. It was last seen in Chile. We have no idea how it got here, but the TB owners sent us a message and were really happy it turned up. It was very exciting to find it and let them know it was no longer missing in action. I am hoping you have the same luck!

Thanks, will do.