How do you submit your logs?

DUFFle Bags

I'm trying to figure out the best way to log a cache... From what I can tell there are only so many ways to log a cache. Obviously the primary way people record there logs is by using the geocaching.com website. But, there seem to be three ways to go about doing so...

1) Use the website, click log your visit, and record your details. Simple.

2) Use the wap site and log the cache from the field. Requires some nimble fingers or a phone with a nice keyboard, but it works.

3) In the field, use field notes, and the come online and 'convert' them to log entries.

There are also a variety of different flavours for option 3, and this is where I am hung up...

3a) Use the geocaching iPhone app. Sounds like it works good, but only if you have an iPhone (my network doesn't support the iPhone).

3b) Use Trimbles Geocache Navigator. Works for many phones, but this app lacks many features other mobile goecaching applications offer.

3c) Use TextMark SMS messages to submit your notes (or logs directly). This option is only available for people in the US.

3d) Record field notes on your device, and then upload them once home, supported by some GPS devices / mobile apps).

For me, I like the concept of field notes because I don't like typing a full log entry in the field (although occassionaly I will use the wap site to log a find - especially an FTF - to ensure that others are aware that I have found it).

I have tried Geocache Navigator for my blackberry and it works well enough, but lacks many features that other 3rd party applications offer. Some 3rd party apps violate the terms of use by putting a UI overtop the web/wap sites to submit log/field notes live, but this is not supported by geocaching.com. Other 3rd party apps record field notes that you can later upload to gc.com, but don't offer any real-time field notes.

So, all that being said, for you paper-free cachers, which approach to logging do you find most effective? Are there any other options that I am not aware of?

I have a Garmin Colorado and I'm using the logging possibility in it. It's hard to type a full log so I usually only make a small note about it. Then at the computer I can use the Field note option and uploads them from the Colorado. Then I have all cches in right order om the screen, I only have to edit the log text and submit.

I alos have a friend that used paper and pen before. He was on a trip and took 230 caches on it. His friend had everything on paper, but she had a lot more to do before she had all the caches logged than him, and she hadn't made any notes of two caches that he had marked in the GPS.

I take a small dictaphone and record my comments about the cache as I walk, TB's in and out etc and then play it back once at home as I type in the log. It means that I can be recording my thoughts as I walk to the next cache and don't spend a long time in the field with pen paper or typing.

I currently use GeocachingLive on Windows Mobile to type quick logs and then submit them to geocaching live server. Once home I login to the live webpage and send them to field notes and expand the logs before submitting.,

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not too bad, as it also makes it a bit easier remembering which cache's i've done! I'm thinking of developing an application on Windows Mobile where it'll store the cache info (from a PQ) and then allow you to store all the info before copying over to pc when you get home. Similar idea to live but it hopefully won't suck up the battery power as quickly AND it won't require you to have signal like live does (PQ import doesn't currently work - all caches end up just off the coast near Hull!)

:unsure:

We use field notes on the Oregon and post them as full logs when we get home.

If we leave trackables we'll enter the code(s) in the field notes and I have a greasemonkey script which then automatically selects them from the dropdown list.

I wrote a second greasemonkey script which adds the find count to the end of each 'Found' log

Works well! :unsure:

Mark