Bilingual Colorado 300

I am in the process of shoppoing for a new GPS to replace my old Vista C and I am experiencing option overload with all that is available.

Torn between the tried and true old skool 60scx and the new Technology of the Oregon, Colorado and the like, I found a great deal online for a Colorado 300 Bilingual. Is there any difference between this and a regular Colorado 300? I assume one of the languages is english. Is this correct? Does it let the owner select which language?

Thanks

I found a great deal online for a Colorado 300 Bilingual. Is there any difference between this and a regular Colorado 300?

I've never heard of a "Colorado 300 Bilingual" but I do know my Colorado 400t has about 20 different languages on it that you can select from.

I found a great deal online for a Colorado 300 Bilingual. Is there any difference between this and a regular Colorado 300?

I've never heard of a "Colorado 300 Bilingual" but I do know my Colorado 400t has about 20 different languages on it that you can select from.

thanks for the response. I found it on Amazon. I think I will pass and spend a little more on a know model.

thanks for the response. I found it on Amazon. I think I will pass and spend a little more on a know model.

It is a Colorado 300. That is how they listed it.

There are NO deals on a colorado.

Buying them from a minor seller with a slogan like bilinqual is asking for trouble.

As stated before the colorado has an option of selecting 20 different lanquages.

You should buy a colorado from a well known company, that way you know in case of problems, you can return it, you have service, they don't want to sell you the faulty first generation.

There are NO deals on a colorado.

Buying them from a minor seller with a slogan like bilinqual is asking for trouble.

As stated before the colorado has an option of selecting 20 different lanquages.

You should buy a colorado from a well known company, that way you know in case of problems, you can return it, you have service, they don't want to sell you the faulty first generation.

This is from Amazon which I think is a well known company and it is through them so if you want to return it it is free and they pay for the return shipping. I did buy one from them right after they came out and that is how they list it.

Buying a colorado on amazon is asking for trouble.

To much wrong with first generation models.

The fact they are trying to sell it as a bilinqual, says a lot about their knowledge.

Amazon is NOT a GPs dealer, it's a box pusher, totally unaware of what they are selling.

Therefore in my opinion not the company I would like to buy the Colorado.

The fact they are trying to sell it as a bilinqual, says a lot about their knowledge.

Amazon is NOT a GPs dealer, it's a box pusher, totally unaware of what they are selling.

Like the old saying, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. Your advice is well taken.

The price was $308. If anyone is interested, just log into Amazon under electronics, handheld gps, and search for the Colorado series and you will see what I saw advertised.

No idea what 1st generation problems has to do with Amazon.com.

As with 90% of the products sold on Amazon.com, they are simply the storefront for other resellers.

Amazon.com is not the reseller.

And even if it was an early revision of the Colorado that was shipped...just hook it up to your computer and update the software for FREE. Takes just a few minutes and you have the same software as the latest units that Garmin is shipping. :mad:

Yes, the initial release of the Colorado had some shortcomings in the software...but many people who complain about those early Colorado units either don't realize that they can be upgraded, or would simply rather complain about the model rather than learn how it has been improved. :mad:

I got my 400t shortly after the 1st major software update was released. Prior to that release you couldn't mark a geocache as Found. It's obvious, with that basic flaw, that this model was rushed to marked (I think there was a big trade show and they had a deadline to meet). And Garmin has actively been improving the Colorado...we just had a software update a couple of weeks ago. :mad:

I was not talking about the software.

Have a look at

Garmin Colorado Issues List

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List

Read also the "must fix" and ask yourself if this is what you want.

Many owners are not aware they own a faulty unit, many people is unaware of these fora and topics, others just gave up, other again exchanged a couple of times the colorado, then changed to oregon.

Yes you can be lucky and have a working unit, else you have a heap of trouble for nothing.

Edited by splashy

And even if it was an early revision of the Colorado that was shipped...just hook it up to your computer and update the software for FREE. Takes just a few minutes and you have the same software as the latest units that Garmin is shipping. :mad:

Yes, the initial release of the Colorado had some shortcomings in the software...but many people who complain about those early Colorado units either don't realize that they can be upgraded, or would simply rather complain about the model rather than learn how it has been improved. :mad:

I got my 400t shortly after the 1st major software update was released. Prior to that release you couldn't mark a geocache as Found. It's obvious, with that basic flaw, that this model was rushed to marked (I think there was a big trade show and they had a deadline to meet). And Garmin has actively been improving the Colorado...we just had a software update a couple of weeks ago. :mad:

I purchased a Colorado 300 thru Costco for $259 a few months. The USB port on top fell off.

Sent it in and I got a refurb back.

However, my original had ~880MB of space and the refirb has aboiut half that.

Sent an email to Garmin support and found out that there were two different suppliers of the RAM and one had twice the amount.

I was not talking about the software.

Have a look at

Garmin Colorado Issues List

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Issues+List

Read also the "must fix" and ask yourself if this is what you want.

Many owners are not aware they own a faulty unit, many people is unaware of these fora and topics, others just gave up, other again exchanged a couple of times the colorado, then changed to oregon.

Yes you can be lucky and have a working unit, else you have a heap of trouble for nothing.

I'm aware of that site...and frequently recommend prospective or new owners visit it.

Some of those 'must fix' items are opinions of those who submit problems to the website...in some cases requesting a feature that was on the 60 series, or just don't like the way the unit operates. Seems a lot of folks who've previously used a 60 don't like the Colorado and are very critical of it. Yes, some of those listed may be considered bugs or missing features...and some of those bugs/features have been addressed in recent software updates (e.g. waypoint averaging has been added, even though it's really not necessary with this model) while others just don't make any sense (e.g. Geocaches don't show up on the Recent Finds list...they do show up in Geocache mode where you can show Found or Unfound, I don't want them on my Recent Finds list mixed in with my Waypoints and POIs) .

Even the brand new unit I received from Garmin didn't have that new SD card seal. I had inquired about my original unit shortly before it was exchanged (at no charge, for a USB communication issue...how's that for support, a 1 1/2 year old unit replaced for FREE) and they said my serial number wasn't affected by the old seal issue...and I ordered mine in February 2008, which is when that problem was documented.

Bottom line...I'm happy with my unit. About the only thing I saw on that list that bothered me was that Earthcaches show up as Traditional icons...I can live with that.

YMMV

Just as an FYI to anyone who's interested, Best Buy has the Colorado 300 on clearance this week for $279. I picked one up for myself after seeing that they were $308 on Amazon.

I was nervous after reading a lot about the Colorado's on these forums but I took a chance anyway. I upgraded the firmware 1st thing and downloaded the free maps from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

I've been extremely happy with it so far, but I should mention that I am new to geocaching and this is my 1st handheld gps that I've used so I have no point of comparison. I've have found 7 caches with it so far and it took me nearly right to all of them. All were done during lunch breaks for the past 2 days. I'm hoping to put it to a real test this weekend.

Anyway that is my mini review. Hope it's helpful to someone.