Splash-Mob Event

martlakes

Despite a dodgy forecast and some serious early rain, a reasonable fleet of pirates rendezvoused in the middle of Windermere yesterday afternoon for the first water-based event in the UK - I think.

See: GC1TQVR

It came about after the recent forum thread on here. It sounded like a good idea and since we have many lakes in the Lakes :) we decided to organise an event.

I think there was another one published earlier but did it actually happen? Obviously no huge reward for being the first one, but just interested to know if it's the case.

Anyway, it was fun and there's already talk of another some time. Now, where else could you hold an event? Whilst skydiving? :D

Despite a dodgy forecast and some serious early rain, a reasonable fleet of pirates rendezvoused in the middle of Windermere yesterday afternoon for the first water-based event in the UK - I think.

See: GC1TQVR

It came about after the recent forum thread on here. It sounded like a good idea and since we have many lakes in the Lakes :) we decided to organise an event.

I think there was another one published earlier but did it actually happen? Obviously no huge reward for being the first one, but just interested to know if it's the case.

You mean this one?

Cheers,

Jon.

Yes that one! I thought I'd seen one on the listings but wasn't sure if it happened cos when I went looking for it it had gone - obviously after the date!

Curses - pipped to the post! :)

You are of course assuming that one was the first!???? Probably wasn't :D

J

Edited by Dakar4x4

I did float the idea (haha) of an event on a Thames sightseeing boat last year, but as far as I know The Boat Only event was the first on water in the UK. Lots on islands in the past, but a first for boats.

Crikey, maybe a UK first then? I'll tell ThePanteras, he will be chuffed :P

I think he's already planning a sequel!

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

Ahhh yes, Ian, you're right......

Mancunian Pyrocacher held an event on a boat a few years ago - I'm at work and can't access GC.com - called Cathedral of the something or other... in Cheshire on the Anderton Boat lift.... April 06

Then... in August 06 Cavetroll and Eeyore held an event on a canal barge Eyore's Birthday Event as I recall.... canal trip over the Pont Cysyllte Aqueduct near Wrexham

And that's just two events I've been to... so.. no - you weren't the first!!

Ahhh yes, Ian, you're right......

Mancunian Pyrocacher held an event on a boat a few years ago - I'm at work and can't access GC.com - called Cathedral of the something or other... in Cheshire on the Anderton Boat lift.... April 06

Then... in August 06 Cavetroll and Eeyore held an event on a canal barge Eyore's Birthday Event as I recall.... canal trip over the Pont Cysyllte Aqueduct near Wrexham

And that's just two events I've been to... so.. no - you weren't the first!!

I thought it would have been unlikely to be the first for something that isn't that extraordinary as an event on water - especially considering the number of imaginative cachers out there!

J

Tsk, claim to fame fading fast!

Mind you, I suspect there's a difference between sitting on someone's canal boat and having to paddle your own canoe. We had a couple of ferries pass us on Windermere and the passengers looked out at us in the rain with our pirate flags, and no doubt wished they were with us (!).

Some of our scurvy pirates did look wistfully at the dry warm ferry (with a bar!) and suggested having the co-ordinates exactly on the ferry route. Then you could log in comfort and style!