Private Property

June16

You honestly believe that we don't have teh freedom to enjoy public lands?

You either have a reading problem or you're purposely misrepresenting what I'm saying. Either way, the words I posted are right there for you to read....again....carefully. :ph34r:

Edited by Rockin Roddy

You honestly believe that we don't have the freedom to enjoy public lands?

You either have a reading problem or you're purposely misrepresenting what I'm saying. Either way, the words I posted are right there for you to read....again....carefully. :ph34r:

It's clear that your only purpose is to argue, so you can argue with yourself.

You honestly believe that we don't have the freedom to enjoy public lands?

It's clear that your only purpose is to argue, so you can argue with yourself.

Sbell, you twist my words and argue about a point I made and you say I'M only here to argue?? Pot, meet kettle!

For those wondering what I meant, here's a for example: Lover's Bridge

Neighbors of the public property (dead-end closed road) this cache was on stole the cache after duping previous finders into giving them info on the hide. They were quite rude when I spoke with them after they had a run-in with one cacher, even giving the cacher his phone number to be passed on to me, it was obvious this person was mad people were using the land that had sat dormant for so many years.

I, like I earlier suggested, decided to archive instead of replace so as not to put fellow cachers in a possible situation. Do I believe we have the right to use that land? ABSOLUTELY! I still use the bridge and am happy to "chat" with the neighbor whenever possible, just don't feel the need to submit others to that kind of abuse! :lol:

People seem to have this entitlement issue where they feel that they should be able to do anything since it's public property, even if it irks nearby landowners

I think the "entitlement" most folks feel about public property doesn't extend to doing "anything". Most folks simply believe that public land is public, and as such, they have a right to be there. I kinda agree with this reasoning. Those rare land owners who like to unofficially expand their holdings through intimidation should never be allowed to win. Those are battles which are certainly worth fighting.

However, in this case, it's not that simple. In this hypothetical example we're talking about not just wandering around on public property, but, through game piece placement, encouraging others to walk around on public property. Normally, that's a good thing. But I can't help but thinking that, if such encouragement results in others being placed in conflict, maybe it's not such a good idea.

While I will happily battle any overzealous landowner, I won't use geocaching as my platform to do so.