Trip odometer versus active log

dunmappin

I wonder why my Legend HCx trip odometer displays a different distance to its active log as viewed in MapSource? Is this a shortcoming of the device because walking speeds below two miles an hour are not recognised as moving time? My wife was somewhat disappointed yesterday when I told her we had walked five-and-a-half miles according to the trip odometer. In truth, I believed it to be longer. Sure enough, when I transferred the active log to MapSource, the walk totalled seven miles.

I wonder why my Legend HCx trip odometer displays a different distance to its active log as viewed in MapSource? Is this a shortcoming of the device because walking speeds below two miles an hour are not recognised as moving time? My wife was somewhat disappointed yesterday when I told her we had walked five-and-a-half miles according to the trip odometer. In truth, I believed it to be longer. Sure enough, when I transferred the active log to MapSource, the walk totalled seven miles.

You noted the issue. The odometer drops to zero when you are walking at slower speeds. This was an issue with the earlier firmware and chipset software versions. I have a Vista HCx rather than the Legend HCx and experienced the same issue when the unit was new. I am now using firmware version 2.80 with chipset version 2.50. With that configuration, the odometer and track log show a similar distance traveled and the track log doesn't "drift" (another issue related to the high sensitivity chip).

I can't say for certain because I have the Vista, but I suspect the equivalent configuration would also work best for the Legend. Scroll down the page(s) for a recent thread that I started about chipset 2.90, the most recent update for these units.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=229219

There are posts in that thread that have links to a place where you can find the firmware and chipset software for these units. They are not available from the Garmin website or with WebUpdater because these are no longer the current software for these units.

Edited by jmundinger

Thanks, jmundinger.

I see now at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3707 the following improvement was made in software version 2.40: 'Changed odometer calculation to more closely match track log distance.' A further improvement '◦Improve distance calculation in odometer.' was made in 2.70. I have not updated my Legend HCx from its original 2.30 because, until now, I was satisified with its performance, and have read numerous scare stories in this forum regarding certain updates.

Edited by dunmappin

You are welcome.

The trip computer and track log are two features that are important to me. Of the various software configurations, I have had the best results using the combination that I recommended, i.e. firmware 2.80 and chipset 2.50. There are still some minor discrepancies between the track log and the trip computer and, when those happen, I tend to trust the track log. With this configuration I have had consistently crisp track logs. I have yet to experience the drift/multi-path problem and the corresponding significant error in current location.

I suspect that you will see a noticeable improvement if you install the equivalent configuration for your Legend HCx. You should be able to find them at the links in the other thread. Download them to your computer and then install them from there. The procedure will employ WebUpdater to accomplish the task but it will use the files that you downloaded rather than connecting to the Garmin website to get the current versions.

jmundinger:

I have downloaded the software version file eTrexLegendHCx_280.exe and the chipset version file GPSChipsetTypeM2_RegionFile__250.rgn to My Downloads in my PC. Now I don't understand how to install the chipset version file to my GPSr: its file type is presented as 'Garmin MapSource POI map'.

While on the subject, one thing that has always mystified me when reading posts, is the associated chipset version: what is its impact? My Legend HCx states, 'Software Version 2.30' and 'GPS SW Version 2.30'. Which is the chipset version?

On another note: I have read posts about obtaining chipset and other information by holding down the joystick then pressing the power button. I seem to have limited success with this. I managed to obtain the display yesterday evening after a few attempts, but have been unsuccessful today. Is there a knack to this operation?

Edited by dunmappin

Kinda a little off topic but I thought I would squeeze it in here. I have a new Vista HCX coming. So I don't want to update to the current version? Oh so confusing. Maybe I should have stuck with the 10 yr old etrex that I never updated.

I would NOT update it with WebUpdater. Instead, set it to 2.80/2.50 using the files from the links in that other thread.

Now I don't understand how to install the chipset version file to my GPSr: its file type is presented as 'Garmin MapSource POI map'.

To install the firmware (i.e. 2.80), connect your device to the computer and turn it on. Double click on the file that you downloaded and everything else should be intuitive.

Installation of the chipset is a little more complex. Put the *.rgn file (i.e. the file that you downloaded) into a folder (or on your desktop). Create a shortcut to WebUpdater and put that shortcut in the same place where you put the *.rgn file. Connect your device to the computer. Open the file. Drag the *.rgn file on top of the WebUpdater shortcut. This procedure should open WebUpdater and, when you continue, WebUpdater will install that *rgn file rather than connecting to the internet and installing something from the Garmin website. This really is easier to do than it might sound. But, if you have problems with it, drop me an email.

While on the subject, one thing that has always mystified me when reading posts, is the associated chipset version: what is its impact? My Legend HCx states, 'Software Version 2.30' and 'GPS SW Version 2.30'. Which is the chipset version?

The first is the firmware. The second is the chipset

On another note: I have read posts about obtaining chipset and other information by holding down the joystick then pressing the power button. I seem to have limited success with this. I managed to obtain the display yesterday evening after a few attempts, but have been unsuccessful today. Is there a knack to this operation?

I have had little need for that operation, so I am probably not the best person to ask.

I thank you, jmundinger, for your patience to fully explain the chipset installation process.

You are welcome. That's what this forum is about. I presume that the installation process worked for you. Now, I hope that the firmware/software change produces the kind of results in use for you that I have experienced with that configuration.

I am constantly amazed that people accept the fact that your location is inaccurate and jumps around, but then expect the collection of inaccurate points to somehow change into an accurate track or odometer reading. The software revisions do curve smoothing or snap to road to make a guess. A GPS with never be as accurate as your car, in my opinion and only my opinion.

I am constantly amazed that people accept the fact that your location is inaccurate and jumps around, but then expect the collection of inaccurate points to somehow change into an accurate track or odometer reading. The software revisions do curve smoothing or snap to road to make a guess. A GPS with never be as accurate as your car, in my opinion and only my opinion.

I expect the unit the perform within the probable error described for the unit. The software configuration that I recommended seems to do that and to generate a track log that is consistent with that level of accuracy. And, fwiw, the unit is more accurate than my car because my car doesn't go to the places where I use that function.

I agree....and with even a little unscientific investigation /experimentation "they" could figure out that most of the difference between the odometer, the track log, and "actual" distance and speed comes from points recorded while stationary. (or moving so slow that they might as well be stationary). As mentioned, some of the new GPS models don't like any speed below approx. 2 mph.