Delorme PN-40 thoughts

scvmeat

Hey All!

I have been happily caching away with my Vista HCx and Nuvi 200 (for paperless) and am still quite satisfied with this set up. My problem is that I am a gadget geek and really like to get the latest gadgets (as I am sure a lot on this board are)!

I am really looking into getting a new GPSr in the next few months and have taken great interest in the "discussions" here regarding the Oregon 400t/500t and PN-40. While I like the larger screen and the touch screen of the Oregon, my wallet tells me that the PN-40 is the best bang for the buck to go paperless (with one unit) and get hooked up with maps. BTW, I am still open to a Dakota, but I am not sure it is as full features as the PN-40 or Oregons.

Car navigation is not important as I love my Nuvi for this.

One of my concerns is regarding screen brightness and readability in the out of doors. I am quite spoiled with my iPod Touch, but I realize no GPSr right now has a screen that bright. So, basically, I am wondering how the brightness of the PN-40 compares with my Vista HCx.

I am satisfied with the Vista, so as long as the PN-40 is on par with the Vista I will be happy.

Lastly, I am a Mac user and am wondering if I will run into problems with Delorme. Garmin seems to have stepped up with Mac support, and I don't want to be left in the cold with a PN-40. I do use GSAK on Windows to run the advanced macros to go paperless with my Nuvi, but I would love to only have to use my Mac! Any Mac users using a PN-40 want to chime in?

My other option is to just keep doing what I am doing currently as I am quite satisfied with it. I just like new toys!!!!!!! ;)

All input is appreciated!

To get the most out of the PN-40 as far as maps (the Map Library Subscription is a steal at $30/year), you really need to use Windows natively (not in a virtualization environment like VMWare, Parallels or VirtualBox). TopoUSA runs in Windows under virtualization, but I don't think anyone has succeeded yet in getting TopoUSA to recognize the PN-40 through that extra layer (USB issues). The net result is you can download maps from the Library, but you can't package them for your device.

However, you can also log into http://data.delorme.com/ and select maps via your web browser which will be prepped for your device (the maps are tied to your serial number for copy protection). This is a little less customizable, but it does work on MacOS.

DeLorme's Cache Register runs as a Dashboard widget on Leopard, and makes managing your PQs & Field Notes a breeze.

Edited by dakboy

Hey All!

....... My problem is that I am a gadget geek and really like to get the latest gadgets (as I am sure a lot on this board are)!

I am really looking into getting a new GPSr in the next few months and have taken great interest in the "discussions" here regarding the Oregon 400t/500t and PN-40. While I like the larger screen and the touch screen of the Oregon, my wallet tells me that the PN-40 is the best bang for the buck to go paperless (with one unit) and get hooked up with maps. BTW, I am still open to a Dakota, but I am not sure it is as full features as the PN-40 or Oregons.

Car navigation is not important as I love my Nuvi for this.

One of my concerns is regarding screen brightness and readability in the out of doors. I am quite spoiled with my iPod Touch, but I realize no GPSr right now has a screen that bright. So, basically, I am wondering how the brightness of the PN-40 compares with my Vista HCx.

I am satisfied with the Vista, so as long as the PN-40 is on par with the Vista I will be happy.

Lastly, I am a Mac user and am wondering if I will run into problems with Delorme. Garmin seems to have stepped up with Mac support, and I don't want to be left in the cold with a PN-40. I do use GSAK on Windows to run the advanced macros to go paperless with my Nuvi, but I would love to only have to use my Mac! Any Mac users using a PN-40 want to chime in?

My other option is to just keep doing what I am doing currently as I am quite satisfied with it. I just like new toys!!!!!!! ;)

All input is appreciated!

I wouldn't say the dakota is any less full featured than the PN-40, in fact, for the most part I prefer my Dakota 20 over my PN-40 feature wise. The PN will do aerial photos which the Dakota won't, but if you don't mind the price the 24k Garmin maps with CN street data are considerably nicer than the Delorme TOPO USA.

Comparing the display of the Vista and PN, if you're happy with the Vista you'll like the Delorme as well. It's very slighty smaller, about the same resolution, and somewhat bright in use in my opinion. I put a couple photos comparing those two and a dakota on my post titled Dakota 20 compared to PN-40, (Or something along those lines) Battery life wise, You'll eat about three sets with a PN-40 for every single set you went through on the Vista.

Finally, if in doubt, buy both. To be completely confused as to your exact position, or desired course you have to be holding two GPS units.......

You'd have to lose GSAK if you want to go Mac-only. There is a developer version of GPSBabel that supports the PN-40 directly on both Windows and the Mac. However, without GSAK on top, you might as well just use the DeLorme Cache Register as dakboy suggests.

If you do run TopoUSA in a virtual machine on the Mac, there should be other ways to get the cut maps onto the PN-40 (other than via Topo itself). Although I'm not a Mac user, it seems like you ought to be able to take the SD card out of the PN-40 and use a reader to transfer the files to the SD card. Hopefully, the virtual machine would support standard removable disk USB devices.

I know there are Mac users of the PN-40 who post fairly regularly on the DeLorme forums. If none of them show up over here, you might want to post over there instead.

If you do run TopoUSA in a virtual machine on the Mac, there should be other ways to get the cut maps onto the PN-40 (other than via Topo itself). Although I'm not a Mac user, it seems like you ought to be able to take the SD card out of the PN-40 and use a reader to transfer the files to the SD card. Hopefully, the virtual machine would support standard removable disk USB devices.

That's not the problem. The problem is getting TopoUSA running in the VM to recognize and "register" the PN-40 so that the map packages can be cut.

If there was an alternate way to register the PN-40 without requiring that it be hooked up to TopoUSA via USB, it'd be no problem. For example, if you use http://data.delorme.com/ , you enter your PN-series device's serial number in your account and your map files are registered to that device when you select them online.

I know there are Mac users of the PN-40 who post fairly regularly on the DeLorme forums. If none of them show up over here, you might want to post over there instead.
I showed up over here ;)

If there was an alternate way to register the PN-40 without requiring that it be hooked up to TopoUSA via USB, it'd be no problem. For example, if you use http://data.delorme.com/ , you enter your PN-series device's serial number in your account and your map files are registered to that device when you select them online.

There's a registry hack for this. It's been discussed on the DeLorme forums, but I can't find the reference. Thoroughly unsupported in any case.

There's a registry hack for this. It's been discussed on the DeLorme forums, but I can't find the reference. Thoroughly unsupported in any case.

I kind of thought there might be.

It's a bit of a moot point now though for me. I've already downloaded 20GB of imagery & maps, and the only place I can store that much is on my work-issued laptop. None of my external drives, nor my MacBook, have that kind of space free.

Like to throw additional thought -- is the PN40 really that hard to learn? I currently have the very basic Garmin Etrex.

What do you want to learn?

Loading caches: with the Cache Register, loading PQs is as simple as a click. Send to is also a simple click away.

Finding caches: Simple...bring up the cache list, select one that you want to go after and select the route option (drive or hike). If you choose drive, when you get close, don't forget to change to hiking.

Viewing maps: Seclect the map(s) which you wish to view and they will show. You can view aerial imagery at certain zooms, topo at other zoomz and so on. These maps need to be loaded which isn't too hard, there's a step-by-step process detailed on the DeLorme forums!

Now, the T8 software takes a bit of work to get used to it, but that's par with most any new software...right? Easy to follow tips and trick are posted in the DeLorme forums if needed! I must say though, I learned a lot simply by experimenting!!

Like to throw additional thought -- is the PN40 really that hard to learn? I currently have the very basic Garmin Etrex.

Absolutely NOT!!!! I just bought one and it arrived this afternoon :mad:

Literally, within 20 minutes of opening the box I could have gotten in the car with it and gone caching. That is with loading my maps and my caches. Granted I did some prep before it arrived - bought premium membership and cache register. Ran a couple PQ's and had them loaded into the CR ready to go, and I read through the wiki a little. After arrival I put my SD card in a card reader and transferred the caches to it. I then put in the Eastern Region disk and followed their easy walkthrough to load the areas around my residence to the card. Put the card in the PN-40, put in the batteries and started it up. I went through the menus and put the Geocache page on the main scroll pages so they are always available a little easier. Went to the page and loaded up a nearby cache, and I had the PN-40 route me to it. Just before arrival, I hit the menu button, changed driving routing to hiking routing (it unsnaps from the road?) and followed the arrow to GZ :ph34r:

What you read and hear as far as a steep learning curve has nothing to do with using this unit for geocaching. It has to do with the Topo DVD and using that software. This disk is separate from the 3 DVD's that you use to put the maps on the PN-XX. I'm not sure of the full usage of Topo8 but it allows you to create custom routes and map out your tracks etc... It's the next step of using the GPSr, but is not needed for normal caching.

I will be doing a full write up of my first day in this thread in a little while.

Thanks for all the responses! I feel pretty good about making the move to a PN-40...better than I did before! It is hard, because I have had nothing but a great experience with my Garmins and my current solution and set up works great, but for the price, it seems like Garmin doesn't have anything in the same ballpark once you consider all the maps you get access to!

Hope to make a purchase in the next 2 months!

Absolutely NOT!!!! I just bought one and it arrived this afternoon :blink:

Literally, within 20 minutes of opening the box I could have gotten in the car with it and gone caching. That is with loading my maps and my caches. Granted I did some prep before it arrived - bought premium membership and cache register. Ran a couple PQ's and had them loaded into the CR ready to go, and I read through the wiki a little. After arrival I put my SD card in a card reader and transferred the caches to it. I then put in the Eastern Region disk and followed their easy walkthrough to load the areas around my residence to the card. Put the card in the PN-40, put in the batteries and started it up. I went through the menus and put the Geocache page on the main scroll pages so they are always available a little easier. Went to the page and loaded up a nearby cache, and I had the PN-40 route me to it. Just before arrival, I hit the menu button, changed driving routing to hiking routing (it unsnaps from the road?) and followed the arrow to GZ :huh:

What you read and hear as far as a steep learning curve has nothing to do with using this unit for geocaching. It has to do with the Topo DVD and using that software. This disk is separate from the 3 DVD's that you use to put the maps on the PN-XX. I'm not sure of the full usage of Topo8 but it allows you to create custom routes and map out your tracks etc... It's the next step of using the GPSr, but is not needed for normal caching.

I will be doing a full write up of my first day in this thread in a little while.

Thanks alot. I plan on ordering mine tonight. In your reply, I learned something new (guess I'm tech challeneged to say the least). I have a card reader but didn't realize I could downlowd to card. Excited.

Thanks alot. I plan on ordering mine tonight. In your reply, I learned something new (guess I'm tech challeneged to say the least). I have a card reader but didn't realize I could downlowd to card. Excited.

I did mistype some info above in regards to the reader though. The PQ's get transferred to the unit when the card is in the unit, not via the card reader. That goes fast anyway, less than a minute for 500 caches.

The maps are what I transferred via the reader, which cut the transfer time by more than 75% or faster.

:blink:

I did mistype some info above in regards to the reader though. The PQ's get transferred to the unit when the card is in the unit, not via the card reader.

Just to make sure everything is clear - the SD card has nothing to do with caches & waypoints. Caches & waypoints always go to the built-in "system" memory.

I did mistype some info above in regards to the reader though. The PQ's get transferred to the unit when the card is in the unit, not via the card reader.

Just to make sure everything is clear - the SD card has nothing to do with caches & waypoints. Caches & waypoints always go to the built-in "system" memory.

got it!