Bushwhacking - Zoom Range on 76CSx

jeep'g

I have the Garmin 2008 topo map loaded on my 76CSx -- what "zoom" range setting using the "In" and "Out" keys do you find generally works the best for previewing waypoints/locations to hike/walk to? E.g., 200 ft. or something covering a larger area. In others, what zoom range do you generally use as opposed to those instances where a larger or a smaller area is called for? Just trying to gain some insight through your experiences. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Regardless of the GPS make/model...if I'm bushwhacking then I better be close enough to the geocache that I want to see the geocache on the screen...so I adjust the zoom so I can see where I am and where the geocache is.

If you're bushwhacking more than 500-1,000ft, then there's probably an easier (not shorter) way to get to the geocache.

I've got a 60csx. As you probably know, basically the same gps as yours sans flotation. I generally Don't view the map at anything below 500 ft. or so. At that zoom range i'm in close enough to determine where i am, but i still get a general idea of the surrounding topography. I've got topo us '08, a gpsfiledepot map, and city nav '10 on my unit. My map points are set to appear at 500 ft and my user waypoints disappear above 1.2 miles. This way, if i need to zoom out, the map is uncluttered. As soon as i zoom in, the waypoints, caches, etc appear and i'm able to select if i need to. I guess it comes down to a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. I don't think any one set-up is better than the other so long as you can get the job done :rolleyes: I've spent tons of time fiddling with the settings and have them where i like them for now. All of it is subject to change depending on circumstances. Like, when i'm road routing with city nav, i have the street names enabled, but when i'm viewing the topos, i turn them off to keep the map clear. The contour lines are more important than street names at that point. Little nuances like that, ya know?

While bushwacking, I generally set my zoom somewhere between 800 feet and .2 miles with the 100k maps. Most of the time I've found I'm letting the terrain, vegetation etc guide my route, and only glance at the GPS occasionally to see if I'm more or less going where I wanted to go.. I zoom in a little tighter if I'm trying to return via the same route following my track back.

I've got a 60csx. As you probably know, basically the same gps as yours sans flotation. I generally Don't view the map at anything below 500 ft. or so. At that zoom range i'm in close enough to determine where i am, but i still get a general idea of the surrounding topography. I've got topo us '08, a gpsfiledepot map, and city nav '10 on my unit. My map points are set to appear at 500 ft and my user waypoints disappear above 1.2 miles. This way, if i need to zoom out, the map is uncluttered. As soon as i zoom in, the waypoints, caches, etc appear and i'm able to select if i need to. I guess it comes down to a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. I don't think any one set-up is better than the other so long as you can get the job done :( I've spent tons of time fiddling with the settings and have them where i like them for now. All of it is subject to change depending on circumstances. Like, when i'm road routing with city nav, i have the street names enabled, but when i'm viewing the topos, i turn them off to keep the map clear. The contour lines are more important than street names at that point. Little nuances like that, ya know?

What exactly are map points? I've wondered about that setting for awhile.

Those are the POI's that come along with your mapset, whatever it may be. If it's topo, you get parks, dams, and other geographic things that show up. If it's city navigator you get businesses, shops, gas stations, hotels...stuff like that. With city nav, there are soo many POI's on the map that if you have them set to appear from too far away, you can't even see the streets. That's why i have them set to appear at such a close zoom level.