Event Cache

CapeDoc

Having hosted an event cache, I learned a few things....

They are easy to set up, most enjoyable and should be done more often :( ,

Think about parking for everyone,

State on the listing page that:

- cachers should say how many will attend

- bookmarking the event is a good idea....if any changes need to be made

- to perhaps set a date prior to the event when all "RSVPs" need to be in. If booking a venue reasonably accurate numbers can be given to the venue in advance.

Any other hints?

I agree that they are fun.

I really enjoy meeting cachers.

I like the Cape ethos that you guys seem to have a larger number of events than the other provinces. Perhaps smaller - but more often.

Place for kids to play.

Not necessarily a "paying" venue". Picnics and BYO venues at parks are also a good alternative

Agree on the safe and sufficient parking aspect

A definite time slot - the event can go on longer - but make it clear that the actual event is from xp.m. to y p.m. I had one event where a number of cachers left after a few hours, and others arrived late and were dissappointed that they missed the bulk.

State on the listing page that:

- cachers should say how many will attend

- bookmarking the event is a good idea....if any changes need to be made

- to perhaps set a date prior to the event when all "RSVPs" need to be in. If booking a venue reasonably accurate numbers can be given to the venue in advance.

Any other hints?

Agree with you. It is annoying when one has booked a venue (with limited space) and people bring along extras or don't RSVP prior to the Event and place has to be made for these extras in an already over crowded venue.

A cut off date needs to be set so that the establishment has prior warning of how large the group will be.

After all this is only good manners towards the host of the Event.

After hosting an Event this May, we found that it helped to book an additional table for those geocachers that just "show up" on the day. We got a tip from Damhuisclan (who are very well organised Event geocachers) and they told us that many will just show up on the day without putting in a "will attend" log. So we asked the venue to include an extra table. As it turned out, we had to get another table (two extra tables in the end), as more geocachers arrived than anticipated!

Edited by GEO936