Garmin Colorado 12v Car power

I'm planning on buying a Garmin Colorado this week. I was going to order some accesories too. A mount, case, screen protector, etc. I already have a 12v mini USB cigarette lighter cord I use to charge my iPod through my iTrip radio adapter. Can I use this same cord for the Colorado? Or do I need the one from Garmin?

Also can I take an SD card out of my digital camera and view the pics on the Colorado?

Edited by sparkysteve

I'm planning on buying a Garmin Colorado this week. I was going to order some accesories too. A mount, case, screen protector, etc. I already have a 12v mini USB cigarette lighter cord I use to charge my iPod through my iTrip radio adapter. Can I use this same cord for the Colorado? Or do I need the one from Garmin?

Also can I take an SD card out of my digital camera and view the pics on the Colorado?

What 'mount' are you considering getting? If it's a suction cup for the windshield...I've only found the Garmin one available WITH the 12v car adapter. If you find it alone, could you please provide a part number?

Although I have the Garmin 12v adapter from my Nuvi, and another that came with my Auto Kit for the Colorado, I've also been using a Motorola cell phone adapter with my Colorado 400t with no ill effects. Just make sure the Interface is set for Garmin Spanner, not Garmin Serial, and you will be prompted to enter Mass Storage mode when you connect a USB cable...choose No and you can operate the unit. This also allows me to power the unit when hooked up to my computer so I can change settings, waypoints, etc.

BTW, I highly recommend InvisibleShield (from ZAGG) for a screen protector!

To view photos the images need to be stored in the d:\JPEG\ folder on the SD card.

If your camera puts them there, you're set...most don't, so the answer is probably no.

NOTE: Fixed typo...the folder is JPEG, not JPG (as I originally posted).

Edited by fegan

Another vote for the Zagg Invisible Shield. I have one on my Oregon and love it on the touch screen. Not sure how valuable it is on the Colorado but if you want one the Zagg is top notch, but cheaper alternatives would probably work as well for your application.

As far as mounts - I have the RAM Mount for the Oregon. It has a cutout at the bottom for the charger and is very adjustable, stays where you put it with minimal vibration and is a great performer. The cost is about the same as the Garmin branded one.

Charger? Well I just use one of two things. I recently got a Nuvi 255w and when I'm not using it in the car I use that charging cable for my Oregon. When I am and want to also use my Oregon in car I use a standard USB adapter. Any should do as long as your interface is set to spanner which will then prompt you whether to start the gps normally or go into mass storage mode.

I'll let everyone else address the picture issue, I'm not sure there.

Glad to hear the cord I already have will work. I'm kinda bummed that I have to have the pics in a certian folder to view them. I have a motion activated digital game camera I use for scouting for deer hunting. I was hoping to take the Colorado into the woods with me and view the pictures from the camera. It uses an SD card also, but makes it's own folder to store them in.

Getting back to the digital camera SD card question:

I have pics on the GPS internal memory...they work fine.

I tried moving some of them to the SD card...my GPS kept shutting down when I was viewing them.

So, unless I have an issue with my particular GPS...viewing them from the SD card isn't very stable.

Anyone care to share their experience with viewing JPG images from the SD card?