Cables? What cables !

Legallysane

:laughing:[/b]My very first GPS arrived today; a nifty new yellow etrex H. I found the on button right where it should be, pushed it, went outside and in less than 20 seconds 4 satellites were locked in.

But that's where the easy stuff stopped. Once I discovered how to put coordinates in (you know: N 234224 W234555) it took a LONG time to laboriously move the cursor, scroll up or down, press enter, move over again, press enter, scroll, etc. etc. etc. ).Right away I went to the web site looking for how to download those coordinates to my computer and into the etrex.

This is my problem that I hope someone can help with: Garmin says I need a type A to mini-B USB data transfer cable. OK, no problem there. But looking at the picture of the cable and then looking at my etrex H, there doesn't seem any way the cable can connect to it. The etrex has a flap on the top covering four connect round points but I can't see how normal cables can connect there.

Am I missing something?

And while I am exposing my ignorance, how do I get the downloads to my computer. Is a premium membership the only way or are there less detailed downloads available for free members?

and yes, I am legallysane

The specs on Garmin's website indicates the Etrex H uses a serial connection. To use a USB cable, you'll need a USB to RS232 converter cable and software.

To download multiple waypoints from the website, from any cache webpage, hit the links that say Find All Nearby Caches. You will get a list of 20 you can download at one time. Keep hitting the next-page to view 20 more.

When I spent 149 euros on a Garmin Etrex in 2006, the serial cable was (if I remember properly) 32 euros. That was about 10 times the amount I was willing to spend on a serial cable. So I built myself a cable from a dead serial mouse and an ISA slot. It's not fancy, but it works. I rarely use the cable, there aren't many caches around my home, so I push in the coordinates by hand.

For the cable you need, you should look/ask at the shops carrying GPSr's, they should have them. Garmin sells them for $38, and if your computer doesn't have a serial port, you also need a USB to serial converter cable ($60 from Garmin). If you shop around you can find new compatible serial cables for less than half that price, and the usb-to-serial cable for less than 1/4 price.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone standardized their cables and connectors. If I had a dime for every cable, plug, charger, power adapter I have I could put my own satellite in orbit.

I would do the cheap thing and just go to Radio Shack or any other electronics store and make one from parts.

Amazon has the data cable for the Etrex for around $12 and the serial to usb adapter for around $15. That should get you all hooked up and ready to go.

Many thanks for the advice I am headed to Amazon right away. But that still doesn't explain the strange connection points on my etrex H. I've seen many types of cables but nothing that would hook to them.

well. off I go to Amazon !!!!!!!

update: well I now see how it connects and I found the serial cable but it was $29.

thanks again to everyone.

Edited by Legallysane

Also you could check Ebay.

That is where I ordered mine.

:rolleyes: Just ordered a serial cable from ebay for $17. Although I am getting much better at entering coordinates manually and have found 4 (count 'em) 4 caches !!!!! Thanks to everyone for their help. Now .... how do I get rid of all these bites, bumps, and itchy things all over my body ? ;)

legally sane. (although my wife thinks I am crazy for bumbling around in muddy woods when I could be in an easy chair)

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone standardized their cables and connectors. If I had a dime for every cable, plug, charger, power adapter I have I could put my own satellite in orbit.

I would do the cheap thing and just go to Radio Shack or any other electronics store and make one from parts.

I agree with that other funny looking "Thing". Stay safe......