GPS and Preloaded Geocaches

TxJewel

:cool: Getting frustrated please help. I bought a Colorado and after many hours on phone with Garmin, I had to return it to the store because of the GPS not downloading the details of the caches. Still didn't like the fact that I had to download each and every cache in the area I wanted. I travel too much. I went back to the Garmin eTrex HCx and it does great on getting me right to the point I need to be, but does not download details and still have to download each one for the area I want so I have to print off a paper with notes.

2 questions.............

1. Is there a GPS that is preloaded with caches (like a reg. gps is preloaded with maps and you just have to update the maps once in a awhile). Would be nice if they were on there and I didn't have to download them every time I go out of town.

2. Is there an SD card that can be purchased with preloaded caches that can be inserted into a current gps.

Would really appreciate feedback on this before I go batty.

TxJewels

There is no GPS that will have details of the cache preloaded. You can get the GeomateJr that has caches preloaded but no details are available.

The problem you were having with the Colorado was that you were using LOC files to load the caches into the unit. You needed to use GPX files to get all the details.

For both the Colorado and the eTrex you need to go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ and create a pocket query of the caches you want loaded. Then you will be able to load multiple caches at one time.

There is no GPS that will have details of the cache preloaded. You can get the GeomateJr that has caches preloaded but no details are available.

The problem you were having with the Colorado was that you were using LOC files to load the caches into the unit. You needed to use GPX files to get all the details.

For both the Colorado and the eTrex you need to go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ and create a pocket query of the caches you want loaded. Then you will be able to load multiple caches at one time.

I think it was a faulty gps actually, garmin instructed me to take it back to the store and tell them to send it back. I downloaded LOC, GPX and even straight to it, and we could only get 2 out of 30 to show details.

So the Geomate Jr. has preloaded caches, seems weird that they don't have that available in a regular GPS, sort of like the updating the maps.

Thank you for your help.

TxJewels

I think it was a faulty gps actually, garmin instructed me to take it back to the store and tell them to send it back. I downloaded LOC, GPX and even straight to it, and we could only get 2 out of 30 to show details.

So the Geomate Jr. has preloaded caches, seems weird that they don't have that available in a regular GPS, sort of like the updating the maps.

Thank you for your help.

TxJewels

But pre-loaded would be a really bad idea as cache data seems to go out of date so quickly. I've only been hooked for about 3 months or so, but I've been caught out many times turning up to a cache which I couldn't find, only to discover when I got home that it had been disabled during that week.

Plus, preloaded would mean no new caches, or it would only be as up to date as the day it left the factory.

Matt